Beta 5.9.2/105 Not Searching Amazon

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
paulab
Captain
Captain

Beta 5.9.2/105 Not Searching Amazon

Post by paulab »

Over the summer, when I was unable to search using Amazon, I installed Bookpedia Beta and am currently using build 105. I've recently noticed that it stopped searching Amazon again (though "Amazon Test" is selected). I'm running a MacBook Pro with High Sierra 10.13.6. I know you've suggested to other people to check their Console, but I haven't seen anything there related to Amazon (maybe I'm not looking in quite the right place).

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Paula
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Beta 5.9.2/105 Not Searching Amazon

Post by FineWine »

So this can been narrowed down can you provide Conor with 2 or 3 examples of the books giving you trouble. Please provide; Title, Author, ASIN
paulab
Captain
Captain

Post by paulab »

The Fall of Gondolin, J.R.R. Tolkien (ISBN 9781328613042)
Kingdom of the Blind, Louise Penny (ISBN 9781250066206)
Final Shadows, Kay Hooper (ASIN B079WM444Y)

Hope this helps!
Thanks.
Paula
paulab
Captain
Captain

Post by paulab »

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Paula,

Than you for sending the ISBN and titles of the not working searches. I have not replied as I have not been able to find any issues with the new search on beta 105; so still pocking around. Do double check that "Amazon Test" is checked. You can try changing the search criteria, when you select "Amazon US" from the search magnifying glass, it will then let you change the limit. Although no combination that I use gives no results, the ISBN and the title always produce the correct result. So not sure what is going on there. I'll see if I can put in more debugging into the next beta so there will be info in the console, when there is no result for a ISBN.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Did some double checking using Title only.
Limit the search to amazon.us via the magnifying glass drop down selector, then "Limit to:" Title and "Search for:" All
Though if you already have the ASIN you need not limit any searches as pedia will automatically assume that that is amazon. Your two ISBN numbers also worked when magnifying glass set to "All".
All examples came up using 5.9.2 beta 105.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you finewine for testing those searches independently and letting us know.
paulab
Captain
Captain

Post by paulab »

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I still can't make it work.
1. "Amazon Test" is selected
2. I've double checked that Amazon US is also selected
3. I tried limiting the search to Amazon US and selecting "Title" and "All"

But it turns out that I actually can't retrieve any results in Amazon US. I've tried a number of other titles/authors/ISBNs and nothing turns up results.

When I search on "All" sites using the magnifying drop-down, I do get results, but they seem to be from Amazon Canada, which returns some information (price in CDN$, for example) which isn't very useful to me, or sometimes from the Library of Congress. I generally prefer the Amazon results.

If I remember correctly from previous forum discussions, using Amazon Test obviates the need for my own Amazon Web Services keys and Affiliate Program ID. Is that correct? I create new AWS keys, but it appears my Affiliate Program ID has expired and there is now a waiting period. Since I don't have an active website, that doesn't seem like an option for me.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I have a backlog of about 100 books that I need to add to Bookpedia, so I'd love to figure this out.
Thanks.
Paula
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

mmmmm "Huston we have a problem" very mysterious. The only thing I can think off now is rather drastic which has worked for me in the past with other uncooperative programs. That is a major complete uninstall of the App and all its associated files EXCEPT of course your database.

I use a very small App called "AppCleaner" by FreeMacSoft to achieve this. Ensure all the boxes are ticked EXCEPT ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia, this is where your database and associated components are, then click remove. Redownload and install Bookpedia Beta from here

Unfortunately this drastic method will delete all your preferences in Bookpedia but you can reset those up again quite easily. The big thing is it will also delete all corrupt files associated with Bookpedia.

Finally, which regular readers of this forum will know, I always use a maintenance program called Onyx. This program gives your entire macOS a spring clean, I especially do this pre & post all major OS updates and any large program updates. You might say that this program is equivilent to putting your car in for a grease & oil change. :)

Conor may have other suggestions that are not as drastic as mine.:D
paulab
Captain
Captain

Post by paulab »

Thanks, FineWine. A bit scary, but I may need to go there.

Any ideas, Conor, before I take this drastic step?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Paula,

Thank you for trying it out on the latest beta. I have updated a special version to log more diagnostic information specific to the search. Please download it here. Then with this version do three different searches that you are trying to do. This version will create a file on your desktop called "BrujiLog". Please send me that file via email and I shall take a look, see if I spot anything in all the data.

Kind regards,
Conor
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Be interesting to know the results Conor
paulab
Captain
Captain

Post by paulab »

Hi Conor --

Do you want me to limit my searches to Amazon US? Or leave Library of Congress, Doghouse, etc. as searchable sites?

Thanks.
Paula
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Just US, I added the logging only to that as it's the one not giving you results like it should. Thank you.
paulab
Captain
Captain

Post by paulab »

Conor, I sent the log to you at support email. Let me know if there was another email address I should have used.
Thanks for your help!
Paula