iTunes playlists table refresh in CDPedia

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
bedestef
Contributor
Contributor

iTunes playlists table refresh in CDPedia

Post by bedestef »

Hello!

I am trying to sync my CDPedia with my iTunes collection. I used to import my whole iTunes collection a few months ago and would like now to add my recent acquisitions from iTunes into CDPedia.

I noticed - through a search in the forum - that the way to do that is to create a Playlist into iTunes, which would contain the concerned latest entries. I did that, but when trying to import from this iTunes playlist, I can't find this - newly created - playlist listed by CDPedia (pop-up menu). Actually CDPedia also keeps listed playlists that I removed from iTunes. I therefore suppose that the list (or table) of iTunes playlists is imported and recorded once, but not refreshed. How could I refresh this list? Is it a bug or am I missing some point?

By the way, thank you for PocketPedia3, which is basically the reason why I am now willing to update my CDPedia records. It seems to be a very great mobile app.

This is my first contribution to the Bruji's Forum. Hope I didn't misbehave... Thanks for all anyway.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: iTunes playlists table refresh in CDPedia

Post by Nora »

Have you moved your iTunes music folder by any chance? If that's the case then CDpedia wouldn't be able to see your new location and keep showing the old one instead. Copy paste the following line into the application Terminal found in Applications/Utilities and it will print out if it's using a special path:

Code: Select all

defaults read com.bruji.cdpedia "iTunes Library XML"
If the print out looks something like this it means it's in the default location in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml:

2012-04-19 10:17:40.258 defaults[85052:707]
The domain/default pair of (/Users/[your user name]/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.cdpedia.plist, iTunes Library XML) does not exist

Check the 'date modified' on the iTunes Music Library.xml file to make sure that it's being updated by iTunes after you do any changes. Also restart iTunes and CDpedia to see if that makes a difference for the playlist listings.
bedestef
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bedestef »

Thank you Nora for this prompt reply.

The Terminal indicates something like what you were guessing:

2012-04-20 21:35:37.020 defaults[387:903]
The domain/default pair of (com.bruji.cdpedia, iTunes Library XML) does not exist

I checked the 'date modified' of the iTunes Music Library.xml file, and it's quite an old date (02/11/11 - dd/mm/yy format) indeed. Actually, there is another xml file in the Musique/iTunes folder ('Musique' standing for 'Music' in French as you guess ;-)). This other file is named iTunes Library.xml (i.e. same without referring specifically to music), and has a creation date recorded as 04/11/11 (still dd/mm/yy format). The 'date modified' was also updated as soon as I launched and quitted iTunes.

Also, restarting iTunes and CDPedia did not make any difference in Playlist listing (I already tried this before my first post and tried again).

I suspect that this corresponds to some change in iTunes around that time. I'm not sure, but this probably corresponds to the time when different sub-folders have been created by iTunes inside the iTunes Media (or equivalent: mine is empty and I use an aliased one named iTunes Music Mobile currently located elsewhere) to separate and sort out Video, Mobile Apps, Books, etc. from Music files.

Could it be that CDPedia should now look for this "new" iTunes Library.xml instead of keeping track of the ITunes Music Library.xml as previously? If this is the case, I suppose that this could be easily incorporated in a coming minor update.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Okay, in that case point CDpedia towards the right path with this following line in the Terminal application while CDpedia is not running:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.bruji.cdpedia "iTunes Library XML" "/Users/[User name]/Musique/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml"
It does sound like iTunes updated something in the location there which might have to do with the French localization or because you keep your database on an external hard drive (I still see a regular iTunes Music Library.xml file on my computer). But we'll check that out and if necessary include it in the program that it needs to look for either.
bedestef
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bedestef »

Thank you for the trick. I have been able to add my recent iTunes entries.

Note that, although my database used to be on an external drive, it is now my on boot disk (internal HD). I keep thinking that it is related with the enhanced sorting done by iTunes, which created new different folders/directories for the different 'medias'.
Antwan
Inductee
Inductee

Post by Antwan »

You guys are geniuses. My girlfriend was having similar issue and your trick solved the problem. Thanks a lot for the info.