DVDpedia: Article is ALWAYS ignored

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

DVDpedia: Article is ALWAYS ignored

Post by Rigido »

Hi Devs,
an Italian user reported that english article "the" is always ignored.
DVDpedia is running in Italian and, if you flag the option, all kind of articles are ignored (english and italian) but, if you uncheck the option, english articles are still ignored so "The Bourne Identity" is still on top just between A and C.

Cheers.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: DVDpedia: Article is ALWAYS ignored

Post by Nora »

That is by design that the English articles (the, an, a) are always ignored. If you want the program to take them into account when sorting, use the 'Sort Title' field.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Hi Nora,
why did you do such choice? I think if a user choose to ignore articles DP should ignore every article of every language, no matter what language DP is running. But if the user choose NOT to ignore articles DP should not ignore ANY article.

OK, I found the 'Sort Title' field and it was never enabled so (talking about my collection) it is empty for all of my 285 movies. To force DP to NOT ignore even english articles what value should I type into that field?

EDIT: Ok, I found and old post from Conor and it is enough to write "The" or copy/paste the whole title, but what happens if the user changes his/her mind and want to ignore articles? Should he/she clean all of the 'Sort Title' fields?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

It's pretty standard in English to ignore the articles when sorting, that's why the Pedias do it automatically.

For the sort title field you can either enter just the first letter ("T") or the article ("The") or the full title so that the entry "The Bourne Identity" will be sorted under The and where that matches under Bourne, etc. If you will apply the sort title field for most entries you could use this method to move the information from Title into Sort Title. The info to enter into Terminal would be:

Code: Select all

update zEntry set zsortTitle = ztitle;
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

what happens if the user changes his/her mind and want to ignore articles? Should he/she clean all of the 'Sort Title' fields?
If you decide you don't want to use the Sort Title field anymore you can either turn it off or simply blank it out (select all entries, open the edit window and check the box next to the empty 'Sort Title' field.)
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Nora wrote:It's pretty standard in English to ignore the articles when sorting, that's why the Pedias do it automatically.
That could be a "non written" rule for English speaking people, but I think that if there is an option, it should work on ALL articles.
I could say that an Italian user that has to deal with non translated titles and wants/doesn't want to ignore articles, he/she would expect that even English articles are/aren't ignored. :)
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Any update on this?
Why did you put an option to ignore/NOT ignore articles but english articles are always ignored?
I can't believe that the answer to users with many titles loaded would be to open Terminal and write commands to fill the 'Sort Field', that's ugly...
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The preference is for non-english languages as it's not a standard in other languages to ignore the article. In English it's not only common practice it's almost demanded that the three articles be ignored. Hence, there is no need for a preference in English. Thanks to the sort title field a user who would like to sort the articles together, can do so. The Terminal makes it easier to update a large collection that was imported or to switch midway. Once you have started with the sort title only new entries whose title begin with a article need the sort title field entered, the rest can remain empty.
manuel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by manuel »

Hi, this is extremely anoying. I have all the titles in Spanish, and the original titles in the original title column (not all the original titles are in English by the way, sometimes the original title is in Japanese, French ...). There is no way to sort it properlly in Spanish (the word A is a quite common preposition in Spanish).
I executed the sqlite command that you suggest but I see no change.
Is there a solution for this?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Use the 'Sort Title' field to tell the program how you'd like titles to sort (those that you feel aren't sorted correctly). If you don't see the field, go into the DVDpedia Preferences/Fields and turn the field on.