Disappearing library

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
filmsoncon
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Disappearing library

Post by filmsoncon »

Hopefully this is just a dumb thing that I missed, but my library basically disappeared today. Pocketpedia was taking a while to load, and I accidentally pressed the "DVDpedia" button on the top left just as my library opened. Pocketpedia then bounced me back to a page that looks like the top screen cap here: http://www.bruji.com/help/dvdpedia/pocketpedia.html, but with "DVDpedia" on top instead of "Collections." The rest of the screen is the same-- arrow to the sync button, arrow to the doghouse function. I can't figure out how to get back to my DVDpedia library (and my collections).

I tried restarting my iPhone on the spot, but it still came back up on that screen. When I got home, I tried restarting DVDpedia and then pushing that "sync" button-- it indicated that it was syncing and then merging, but when it was done, I was still stuck on this same screen. How do I get out of this screen and back to my library?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Disappearing library

Post by Conor »

Thank you for all the details. I can't think of anything that would cause that, especially with a library synced and loaded. Your collections should always come up. Obviously restarting the iPhone and Pocketpedia would be the most obvious remedy but that has not fixed it, which means it must be some saved database setting. The second step would be to delete Pocketpedia completely and download it again from the iOS App Store and sync your data over again. But before you do that please do send me the "Pocketpedia.dvdpd" file in your data folder in ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia (you might need to hold down the option key and click on the Finder "Go" menu to open your Library folder). This file gets created when you do a sync. With it I can look at the database that Pocketpedia has to see if I can find the bug as it would be the only data that changes for Pocketpedia to load blank after a restart as well.
filmsoncon
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by filmsoncon »

Thanks for the quick reply. I have the "Pocketpedia.dvdpd" folder for you, though it was just in my DVDpedia folder in the Applications (this may be due to my incorrect file structure or something--it was created/last modified when I last attempted to sync). Where should I send it?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Please email it to us to the support email on this page. Sounds like you moved your Data folder into your Application folder from it's default location. Shouldn't be an issue for the syncing, but I'll give it a try just in case.
brad
Inductee
Inductee

Post by brad »

Hi there,

Similar problem. My computer crashed while I was using DVDpedia. When I started my computer up again and opened DVDpedia my library was gone. I looked in the database folder and all my cover art is in there. I've tried pressing the option key while starting up the program and choosing the existing database file but it doesn't do anything; my library is still blank. What's more, I can't add anything new to the library anymore either. When I try, I get an error message that reads: "The database in memory is not in a valid state."

Can you help me please?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Sorry to hear about the computer crash and the subsequent issue with DVDpedia. Sounds like the database is not exactly in the format it should be.

DVDpedia monthly makes a backup of it's data file (Database.dvdpd), the most important bit of information. You should find it in the same data folder. If you do find a file called "Backup...dvdpd" version do select it and look at the modification date, if it's not too long ago you can double click that file to replace your current Database.dvdpd with that one and it should load your library as it was on that day. You can also recover the "Database.dvdpd" file from any backup like TimeMachine directly without DVDpedia running.

Otherwise please email us the Database.dvdpd file and any other .dvdpd files in your database folder (three should be a Backup...dvdpd version). Alos a Replaced...dvdpd if you tried out one of the backups. Select them and use the "Compress" command under the File menu to create a Archive.zip that you can then attach to an email. With your data we can get it working again or find out the issue and recover whatever is necessary.