PocketPedia 3 crashing

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Apronikoff
Inductee
Inductee

PocketPedia 3 crashing

Post by Apronikoff »

I seem to be having a recurring problem with PocketPedia3 crashing. I'll touch the icon, the app will open for a brief moment and then immediately close. I tried completely quitting PocketPedia, restarting my iPad, restarting DVDPedia on my Mac to no avail. The only way I could get the app to open again was to delete it from iPad, reinstall it, and then resync my library. That was three days ago, and today it's happening again. Would love to find out what's happening/causing this as it's pretty annoying for someone who uses the pedia software as frequently as I do (this is my first negative experience with what is otherwise phenomenal software.)

I'm running PocketPedia on a third generation iPad and DVDpedia on a Mac running 10.6.8

Any ideas?
Nora
Site Admin

Re: PocketPedia 3 crashing

Post by Nora »

That's very strange behaviour indeed. If the app crashes though then there should be crash logs which will hopefully give us more info about what's happening so we can try to fix it. To get the crash logs, connect your iPad with the computer and sync it via iTunes. Once that is done the logs will be located in your home folder at ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/iPad Name/Pocketpedia3…crash. If you are in Lion it hides the "Library" folder by default, hold down the option key and use the "Go" menu to select "Library" to show the folder.

You'll find our email on the Support page.
singdude
Contributor
Contributor

Post by singdude »

I am having the same problem - I try to open the pocetpedia app and the background opens for a split-second then crashes. Can't access it at all. I'm running on the lates iPhone 4S.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Please send us the crash logs as well then and any message from your console log connected to the Pedias. You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.
singdude
Contributor
Contributor

Post by singdude »

OK, after deleting and re-installing, so far so good with the crashing problem. But now the app keeps unsynching on my iPhone. I will sync, then later I will open the app and all the info will be gone. If I'm home, I can just hit the sync button and it's all back in one second. But if I'm not near my computer, the info is just gone until I can sync it again.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I can't think of any reason for the data information to be forgotten by the iPhone. Once the data has made it to the iPhone to be displayed it's being read from the drive. Are you running vernon 5.1 of iOS?
singdude
Contributor
Contributor

Post by singdude »

I am running version 5.1.1. I just tried my app again, (after synching last night) and the same thing happened. Again, I push the sync button and all the info appeared instantly. So it isn't losing the info, it just isn't showing it without synching to the computer first. Very strange.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the extra info. Good to know where to concentrate looking for this. Although, I am still unable to repeat it. Could you please download the demo version of any of the other Pedias and add any one single item to your library and then sync that as well to your iPhone. I would like to know if the fact of having two collections on there will cure the bugs as the display refresh would be slightly different for two databases instead of one.

Could you also email me your current database file at ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Database.dvdpd. Maybe it's something in the data that I am overlooking or a step. Under Lion and Mountain Lion you have to hold down option key and click on "Go" menu in the Finder to open your Library folder.