Links and Titles

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Links and Titles

Post by Rigido »

Ciao Devs,
I was entering a DVD collection "Nightmare Collection" (7 DVD) and after entering boxset and all of the 7 movies I linked them together (cmd-opt and drag).
Everything was ok until I decided to change one title:
- DVDpedia main window didn't react well (Cover View and Detail view opened) coverview didn't refresh to show new order but detail view showed right movie details. So there was not relation between cover and details. Restarting DVDpedia solved the issue.
- If I saw right, titles are "hard coded" when links are created and are not "auto-magically" updated. It is not a BIG problem, but I think is a problem when you have 8 entries linked each-other.

Ciao.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Links and Titles

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the bug report. I have not been able to repeat it. If it happens in the future could you have a look at your console log, see if there are any messages from DVDpedia? You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.
Titles are "hard coded" when links are created and are not "auto-magically" updated.
Indeed the link name is created during the linking process and not updated subsequently. It's a minor bug that will go away when we update the internal linking engine to be more relative, instead of piggybacking of the link URL that the pedias respond to and being treated like any other URL link that has no direct connection to the linked file.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:Indeed the link name is created during the linking process and not updated subsequently. It's a minor bug that will go away when we update the internal linking engine to be more relative, instead of piggybacking of the link URL that the pedias respond to and being treated like any other URL link that has no direct connection to the linked file.
Thanks for letting us know your intention with this. It seemed like more than a "minor bug" to me while updating bunches of links in DVDpedia after recently reorganizing/moving video content. :)

Will 'pedia links to files still need to be manually updated if those files are moved across volumes?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Will 'pedia links to files still need to be manually updated if those files are moved across volumes?
In future versions, this won't be necessary. Apple has finally been standardizing the rules for aliases that work even after a user has moved a file. This is actually not even a choice for developers in the Mac App Store as once an Application is Sandboxed you need to start using the new API's that allow for tracking a file after a move, since it also tracks your access to that file from a Sandboxed application. Sandboxing is huge work for an application as big as DVDpedia as well as having several issues, so not sure when that will be ready. But the good news is the URLs need to change so we can take advantage of the new features even for users of the regular App that does not need to be sandboxed.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:Apple has finally been standardizing the rules for aliases that work even after a user has moved a file.
A huge win would be if that eventually allows iTunes to auto-locate files moved across volumes.