Bookpedia: Tool "capture cover" collapses. Bug?

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Lena

Bookpedia: Tool "capture cover" collapses. Bug?

Post by Lena »

Bookpedia: "Cover erfassen" bricht zusammen. Bug?

Für ältere Bücher ist es ein sehr nützliches Tool: Cover erfassen. Wegen der Spiegelverkehrtheit braucht es aber ein wenig Zeit, das Buch korrekt zu platzieren. Unglücklicherweise erscheint nach relativ kurzer Zeit ein schwarzer Bildschirm, dann der Beachball und ich muß Bookpedia beenden und wieder von vorne anfangen.

Ein Fehler meinerseits, oder ein Bug?

For older books, it is a very useful tool: capture cover. But because of the mirror-inverted display it takes a little time to place the book correctly. Unfortunately after working one, maybe two minutes a black screen appears, then the beachball and I have to finish Bookpedia and start again.

An error on my part or a bug?
Last edited by Lena on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Bookpedia: Tool "record cover" collapses. Bug?

Post by Nora »

The 'Capture Cover' feature doesn't have an option to mirror the image (unlike the barcode scan with iSight which lets you flip the image by holding down the Option key) because then the writing on the covers would be mirrored too. We could flip the image automatically after saving but this might confuse users since it would not be the identical image they took.

As for the screen that goes black after a while, please download the beta version that Conor just uploaded and see if the problem persists. If it does, could you please check your console log for any messages from Bookpedia? You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.
Lena

Re: Bookpedia: Tool "capture cover" collapses. Bug?

Post by Lena »

Capture cover doesn't work at all in the Beta Version. Have send you the Terminal-report by email.

Thanks,
lena

By the way. Like to read "Junior". :D
Lodovico
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Lodovico »

I'm noticing a bug with Capture Cover in Bookpedia 5.1.6. If I do a capture while adding a new book, the captured image usually gets lost when I click Add to save the book. Capture Cover does work OK if I use it to edit in an image after adding a book.

And a request (if it's possible): Could the mask control (the bottom right slider in the Capture Cover popup) default to the previous setting or at least to a book-shaped rectangle? It's getting annoying having to adjust this slider every time I capture a cover.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the details. The bug on adding a cover to book not yet added has been fixed and crop setting maintained between openings enhancement integrated into the Bookpedia beta version.
Lodovico
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Lodovico »

That's great. Thank you very much, Conor!

If I'm allowed another request, could we have a shortcut key for Capture Cover, please? Alt-Cmd-C perhaps?

Or even simpler would be double-clicking in the empty cover space to bring up the Capture Cover window.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Made it Command-Control-C as I did not want to use the "alt" as we might use that in the future to change the copy command into "Copy as Bibliography". Something we want to do when users become accustomed to knowing that is a possibility and we can merge the command into the copy. The option key merges menu commands into one single line that changes when option is held down, just like "Print" changes into "Print Selection".
Lodovico
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Lodovico »

Thanks very much for updating the beta with that shortcut.

By the way, I've discovered a feature of OSX that allows me to use both hands to hold the book while capturing the cover. I turn on Speakable Items (Accessibility Pref Pane) and say the word "Set". No keypress required!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I turn on Speakable Items (Accessibility Pref Pane) and say the word "Set". No keypress required!
That is quite a handy tip.