OS X 10.9 and Pocketpedia sync is broken

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
DJRumpy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

OS X 10.9 and Pocketpedia sync is broken

Post by DJRumpy »

Just an fyi since I realize the OS is beta on both platforms, but the current version of DVDPedia (5.1.6) and Pocketpedia (3.0.3) aren't syncing properly under iOS7 and Mavericks. Just thought I'd pass it alone in case you weren't aware.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: OS X 10.9 and Pocketpedia sync is broken

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the heads up. I haven't yet installed Mavericks but will do so soon.
DJRumpy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DJRumpy »

No errors when they sync. The pie graphic doesn't show, and oddly, some hidden 'Smart Collection' that I see on neither side shows up.

Have a great weekend ;)
markkrieg

Post by markkrieg »

I'm having the same issue with 10.9 (Mavericks). It seems to omit the last several DVD records that I've entered... as if it's cached somewhere. I tried deleting Pocketpedia 3 from my iPhone5 and syncing the database from scratch. Again, it omits the last few DVDs that I entered (528 out of 533 records). I thought the problem may gave been the iOS7 beta, but after going back to the latest iOS6 version (clean install and reload, no data-backup) I have the same issue. The problem must be in Mavericks.
DJRumpy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DJRumpy »

markkrieg, just be aware that you should not expect any quick fixes when using beta software. Even the software we're using right now isn't guaranteed to be the same as the eventual production release. Likely but not assured.

I reported this just because I observed it, but I certainly don't expect it to be fixed before either of these hits gold release. If they do, that's great, but just try to keep the proper expectation ;)

I actually suspect the problem lies with iOS7 since the interface doesn't act the same in iOS7 than it did prior to the update. The animation showing that updates are taking place never shows up as it did before. I suspect Mavericks isn't the issue here.
Last edited by DJRumpy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback, I'll ask for your database if I am unable to repeat it with mine and the test versions. Likely the new "App Nap" as I been having issue in other programs with it.
DJRumpy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DJRumpy »

Doh..Not enough sleep after last night. I mean I suspect iOS 7 is the culprit, not Mavericks. The iOS app doesn't show the little timer animation that it normally does when syncing, rather it just shows the word syncing as if there is nothing to send/receive.The graphics/animation that's missing is the one that looks like a small timer.

If you need something from me, don't hesitate to ask. I can extract the db and send it to you if needed.

Hope everyone had a safe 4th (for those that celebrate it here in the states that is).

Thanks

Note: I did disable App Nap in Mavericks but saw no difference.
markkrieg

Post by markkrieg »

Well, I did manage to fix the problem... and it probably was the database or index. I exported my entire collection into a backup file, then deleted everything in DVDpedia, and then imported it all back. Synced to PocketPedia3 and BAM! it's all there!
markkrieg

Post by markkrieg »

Maybe I spoke too soon. My last post was true... the export->import did fix the problem. But when I added a new DVD, the same problem existed... PocketPedia3 on my iPhone5 running iOS7 did not update. However, my iPad3 running iOS6 DID update. Hmmm. Anyhow, I did another export->import and my iOS7 is up to date. I guess I'll have to just keep doing that until a fix is found.
DJRumpy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DJRumpy »

I just saw the same thing. The first sync after doing so worked, but subsequent syncs do not, and you lose any non-smart collections (fortunately I grabbed screenshots).

We'll just have to wait for a fix.
philb1701
Contributor
Contributor

Post by philb1701 »

Not to beat a dead Bruji, but I too am having the same issue with syncing.

It is happening with both CDPedia and DVDPedia on my Mac running the latest version of Mavericks, when syncing to my iPhone running iOS6 and the latest version of PocketPedia. It's a minor problem to be sure, but a problem nonetheless.

I suspect it's got something to do with Mavericks more then the Pedias themselves, so I'll just live with it for now.

The world won't stop spinning if my iPhone doesn't have a fully complete list of my dvd's or cd's for the next few months!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I haven't been able to narrow it down yet. Mavericks Xcode crashes on me as soon as I am getting close to the issue. Hopefully I'll be able to get it to run for more than 10 minutes at a time so I can put out a beta version to confirm any fixes. Are there any messages in your console log after you try the sync? If so do please send them along.
DJRumpy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DJRumpy »

From the Mac side, you see this when loading DVDPedia:

7/25/13 4:22:53.303 AM DVDpedia[622]: Loading two plugins with the same menu title, last one will be used: Title Case
7/25/13 4:22:54.022 AM DVDpedia[622]: CoreData: Error: Unable to dynamically link Librarian.framework

I checked the iOS logs in Organizer, but there are no recent crash logs after syncing and no hits on 'dvd' or 'pocket' when searching the logs.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the extra info. I have found the issue. SQLite has been updated under Mavericks and now uses a write ahead log file. When you make changes to your database it does not add them back in it to the Database.dvdpd file but adds another file called Database.dvdpd-wal as well as one with the suffix -shm (that is used for shared memory). It then waits until the write ahead file is 1000 pages (4 megabytes) before merging it back in with the main file. The Pedias have always assumed the database file is complete and can stand alone and it's what it sends to Pocketpedia, hence why the updates and changes are not seen. (Why Markkrieg was able to fix it with import and export, he was making enough changes for the files to be merged.)

I have updated the Pedias to disable the write ahead and simply use the old behavior as there is nothing to gain from write ahead. You can download any of the betas for the fix: DVDpedia, Bookpedia, CDpedia and Gamepedia.

For other developers looking to disable the new write ahead, it's done by passing the appropiate SQLite pragma to NSPersistantStoreCordinator:

Code: Select all

NSDictionary *options = @{NSSQLitePragmasOption : @{@"journal_mode" : @"DELETE"}};
NSPersistentStoreCoordinator *persistentStoreCoordinator = [[NSPersistentStoreCoordinator alloc] initWithManagedObjectModel:model];
[persistentStoreCoordinator addPersistentStoreWithType:NSSQLiteStoreType configuration:nil URL:url options:options error:&anError];
I'll also reported the bug to Apple as it should default to the previous behavior for all applications that are not yet built and linked against Mavericks. Especially since a stand alone file is one of the benefits that makes SQLite attractive.

I have also seen the CoreData: Error: Unable to dynamically link Librarian.framework but I haven't figured out what that is as it's also a Mavericks issue, as we have no framework named Librarian.framework. Also I believe it started happening with the latest update to Mavericks and not the previous releases. Sadly the Apple forums are down so there's no looking up information from other developers who should be running into the same issue.

Haven't moved to iOS 7 yet as I wanted to make sure I get all the Maverick issues first without making too many changes at once. Next up will be those little progress pie charts not showing up. Although it's likely going to be a full iOS7 design overhaul after the next release of Pocketpedia. Thank you for all the details.

If you keep seeing issues with the beta version above, please let me know.
DJRumpy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DJRumpy »

Excellent news and thanks!