Error with synchronization

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
sgr@wirol.dk
Contributor
Contributor

Error with synchronization

Post by sgr@wirol.dk »

Hi Bruji,

I have been using DVDPedia since 2011 (currently version 5.3.2) on my iMac together with the house hold iPhones (4S and 5S)
with the most recent version of pocket pedia.
After my recent update to the latest version of mac os x (ver 10.10), I can no longer synchronize my movies between iPhone and iMac.

The phone reports, no DVDpedia available, please start or restart your DVDpedia program.
I have done that several times, including rebooting the mac, but with absolutely no success.

I have also tried dedicated network, enabling / disabling blutooth but these changes does have any effect.
Pocket Pedia constantly requests that the DVDPedia application should be started / restarted.

One question that I have not been able to find the answer to via google, is which ip port number is used
for the Pedia synchronization, its a long shot, but perhaps if some thing had changed with the new os
possible the ports needs to be re-opened.

As a final note, I have another iMac where I have installed DVDPedia, and the mac os x version is 10.9.5
On this computer the synchronization works, so its not a network / firewall issue since the 2 computers
are on the same wired and wireless network.
But for a lot of other reasons I really need to get the iMac running 10.10 to work again

I have a database of approx 2300 DVD, so I would really like to keep the various
databases in sync.

We have been using the software for several years, and we are really enjoying this application,
so getting this fixed would really be a great help.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
Søren
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Error with synchronization

Post by Conor »

Hi Søren,

Thank you for the detailed description. Yosemite has a number or WiFi reliability issues, but a restart should have taken care of them. Do try restarting the iPhone if you haven't done so already. Although with not syncing to both iPhones it's likely the Yosemite WiFi problems.

Do please try a dedicated network to discard any internal home network issues. You can do this through the WiFi menu (at the very top of your screen, the little quarter pie that shows the strength of your signal). Select "Create Network...", name the network whatever you like and then go into the Settings app on your mobile device and connect to that same network. Then try the sync again.

If that fixes the issue then try restarting your home router, so that you can go back to the regular sync after that.

Do let me know how it goes. Hopefully the above will get you syncing, there is a USB cable solution if it does not but it's not as magical as the regular sync, since it's only one way from the Mac to the iPhone, but will let you keep up to do date on the go.

Kind regards,
Conor
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Søren,

I just saw that you updated your post while I had the reply window open and had not seen the extra information. The port numbers for DVDpedia is 8110 and increases from there should it be taken. E.i it will use 8112 if 8110 and 8111 are in use by some other application.

The message your seeing is when Pocketpedia posts a rendevouz service request and does not hear back from DVDpedia within 2 minutes. So do check the Firewall settings on the iMac 10.10 to make sure that your not blocking DVDpedia. Although if that was the case you would not be able to search for movies online either.

Yosemite has some serious issues and I am trying to work around them for the next release, but its not easy when the issue lie in the OS X.

If you don't mind a one way sync of your information to the iPhone. Then you can hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu. There will be an "Export for Pocketpedia..." option. Save the file to your desktop and once it's done creating all the covers and data necessary you can drag that file over to "iTunes -> Apps -> File Sharing -> Pocketpedia". Once it's done copying vie the USB cable lunch Pocketpedia and it will go through the file and import all the information from that file into it's database and then remove the file and you will have a copy of your data from the iMac. This method does overwrite any changes you might have had in Pocketpedia as DVDpedia never gets to be part of the sync and can't update to any changes in Pocketpedia.

Kind regards,
Conor
sgr@wirol.dk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sgr@wirol.dk »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I have tried all described suggestions, but with no real success.

I also followed this guide on hot to reset network settings
http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-f ... -yosemite/

But I can't get past the "Pedia Not Found" text box on the iPhone after trying to sync
Needless to say that both iMac and iPhone has been restarted several times.

Would it be possible for me, to somehow capture a log file and send it to you for further investigation.
Hope that your next version can solve, what apple seems to fall short on handling.

Cheers
Søren
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Strange that the direct network does not resolve the issue, that tends to reset the network stack on Yosemite and clear the bug as well as cut out any home network issues.

To capture the logs on the Mac it's simple. Access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log. You can also filter for DVDpedia on the top right.

For the iPhone you need to plug the iPhone via USB and then use the iOS Console app. It will then gather the console and display it in a window. As above the newer messages are towards the bottom of the log.

Thank you so much. Hopefully the error logs will be detailed and give us more information on what is blocking the connection.
sgr@wirol.dk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sgr@wirol.dk »

Hi Connor,

Here are some great and strange news.
I haven't had time to do much about this issue since my last post,
But I tried sync again, and today, all of a sudden, DVD-pedia just asked for confirmation,
prompted for overwriting the iPhone,
and now Sync seems to be working again.

The really strange thing is, I know I haven't performed any updates on any of the systems.
So unfortunately there is not much to learn here, but its really great to be able to sync again :-)

Thanks for you time and effort
Cheers
Søren
Cylidd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cylidd »

Same problem here since version 5.4.0 : can't sync with Pocketpedia.

Both Bookpedia and DVDpedia give the same error message on my iPad : « Pedia not found. Please restart the pedia app on your Mac. »
(Or something like this; I'm using a french version of the software.)

Restart the apps : same problem.
Restart the iPad : same problem.
Restart the Mac : same problem.
Restart the router : same problem.
??

Any help?
First bug ever on your wonderful softwares.

These are the versions I'm working with :

iMac : OS X Yosemite - 10.10.2 (2,8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4 Go 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
DVDpedia : 5.4.0
Bookpedia : 5.4.0
iPad : Pocketpedia : 3.2.2
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Try two things please:
a) set up a dedicated network on your Mac and then connect your iPad to that network and try the sync again. (You can do this by going into the Wi-Fi menu and select 'Create Network'.)
b) turn off Bluetooth on your iPad and then try the sync again.

Let me know if that doesn't fix things.
Cylidd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cylidd »

Nora wrote:a) set up a dedicated network on your Mac and then connect your iPad to that network and try the sync again. (You can do this by going into the Wi-Fi menu and select 'Create Network'.)
Same error message.
Nora wrote:b) turn off Bluetooth on your iPad and then try the sync again.
Same error message.

=(
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for trying those out. If the dedicated network did not work it means it's an issue on the computer. Since you say it started with 5.4.0 do try out the previous version again to see if it fixes things: DVDpedia and Bookpedia.
Cylidd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cylidd »

I'm under the impression that Pocketpedia is unable to communicate with my computer, even if they're on the same network.
Is there any way to confirm on my computer (using some utilities) that Pocketpedia is actually sending sync infos?
[I'm using VirusBarrier (and all pedia apps are allowed on every ports.)]

I've looked, and it seems that there's no options to block communication from any app from my iPad.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Do try turning off VirusBarrier for testing. The console log would report information from DVDpedia while it's waiting for the connection and not getting replies from Pocketpedia. The message comes up when Pocketpedia is sending a Bonjour/Rendezvous request and it's not getting through, hence DVDpedia never knows what port to contact DVDpedia on, by default 8110 for DVDpedia and 8120 for Bookpedia but can change depending if those ports are being used. In short it's worth checking the console logs. You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log. But yo hare correct that the issue most likely lies on the Mac killing the message from reaching DVDpedia, specially since you have done the dedicated network to rule out any router issue. Also do turn off Bluetooth for testing, specially if using Yosemite that seems to interrupt the WiFi network connection.
Cylidd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cylidd »

Okay. I've tried many things.

Revert to 5.3.2 on both DVDpedfia and Bookpedia — [√] Check!
Same error message (« Pedia not found. Please, restart the pedia app on your Mac. »)

Desactivate BlueTooth — [√] Check!
On the iPad and on my iMac.
Same error message.

Cancel Virus Barrier — [√] Check!
But it was in « no restriction » mode from the beginning
On the filter menu, both DVDpedia and Bookpedia are « authorized » on every ports.
Same error message.

Opening the console log — [√] Check!
But, strangely, nothing appear when I try to sync from PocketPedia.
Is there suppose to be a line about PocketPedia trying to communicate to my iMac?
I'm lost here.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for trying those out. If there are no messages in the console log, then it means the initial request for syncing is not making it through. In a last attempt have you completley restarted the Mac? It's worth a try.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Conor wrote:Thank you for trying those out. If there are no messages in the console log, then it means the initial request for syncing is not making it through. In a last attempt have you completley restarted the Mac? It's worth a try.
Also do a cold reboot of all your idevices as well as your iMac. For the one time I had this trouble, Mavericks I think, this is what did the trick. I also ran the free program prior to iMac reboot called Onyx. You can get your OS version here. I always run this program after a OS update, major or minor. It just seems to clean all the cobwebs out of the system.

Also have a read of this article: OS X 10.10.2 Wi-Fi Issues Continue for Some Mac Users

Hope this helps