"Ignoring article" and calendar is broken

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
MOTIVHIMMEL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

"Ignoring article" and calendar is broken

Post by MOTIVHIMMEL »

Hi there,

I have noticed a few days ago on my iPhone (as I check a bit my sorting from my movies), that the listing was different to my Pedia on my Mac. It takes a bit, but than I see the problem. On my iPhone the listing is sorted strictly on the alphabet, including the german articles "Der, Die, Das". So on DVD Pedia on my iPhone I have this sorting for example:

Dream House
Dschungelkind
Die Entführung der U-Bahn Pelham...
Das erstaunliche Leben des Walter Mitty

On my Mac it's showing me this:

Dschungelkind
Duell
Eagle Eye
Earth to Echo

Well on the Mac it looks more correct but today I must recognized that I'm wrong. The sorting is also wrong (but different to my iPhone???) to. I'm not sure if this is a newer bug and I'm believing, that it works in the past.
I also recheck my settings in the preferences of the app and try to recheck the ignoring of articles, but nothing will be changed after making changes. It also look that the changing has not effect on the english article (the). I try to enable and disable it for the Movie "The Artist" and also restarting Pedia, without any changing in each selection.

So for now I have I have for example a list like this on my Mac...

Delicatessen
Departed
Der Auftragslover
Der Baader Meinhoff Komplex
Der blaue Tiger

The second thing is around the Calendar. I noticed that I can't jump to the date from today over the tiny black button, if an existing entry would be in the past. For an better example...

If I would change the field for the Release Day of the movie from "Aug. 2013" to the date of today, I can click on the black button in the calendar, but it will ignore my click. If I edit the entry to today and jump in the calendar backwards and hit the black button, it works great.

Hope you can fix this things with a next update.

Oh, I'm using Pedia 5.4.0 (MAS)

If you need any more informations, pls. let me know.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: "Ignoring article" and calendar is broken

Post by Conor »

Thank you for all the exact details.

With all your information I was able to track down the subtle bug.

The sort title field takes precedence over everything when turned on. It is found in DVDpedia -> Preferences -> Fields menu command. When the sort title field is empty, then DVDpedia goes back and defaults on the title, but still honors the preference setting ignoring foreign articles in the title field. Pocketpedia on the other hand defaults back to sorting on title and ignores the preference setting and places "Die" under the "D" section.

I have fixed the bug and Pocketpedia will now sort equal to DVDpedia when all this options are present. Should be about a week or two depending on the speed of the Apple review process.

"The", "an" and "a" are always ignored. If you wish to sort by this articles you need to turn on the sort title field (already on in your case) and add the title for any movies that start with these articles into that field, to tell it you don't want the standard english sorting behavior. As shown in this screenshot:

-----------

The black button in the date picker the intended Apple behavior is that the button takes you back to the currently selected date. So if the date that is currently in the field is August 2013, that is where it will take you in the calendar view. But from this Stackoverflow question I learned that clicking while holding down the option key will take you to today's date, which is highlighted in blue.

Thank you so much for the bug report.
MOTIVHIMMEL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by MOTIVHIMMEL »

Thank you for the fast reply.

I didn't using the "sort title" feature (didn't recognized it until now ;-) ). So did I understand you right, that I need now to fill this field for each movie to get a correct sorting? If yes... Holy... :-X. I have 740 movies in my list. Hope you have a hint to make this in a simple step.

Around the Calendar... Yep, work's with "Option / ALT" key :-) Thanks for this hint.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If you are not using the sort title field, then uncheck it in the preferences and the bug will go away. "Die" will sort as you choose in the preference correctly in DVDpedia and Pocketpedia after a sync.

The only reason to use sort title field was to sort "The" under T. This is very uncommon and hence why it requires the sort title field and not a preference. If so you only need copy the titles with "The" into the sort title field. If you have many it can be done with the SQL command by pasting this into the program named Terminal (goes without saying make sure a backup of your data folder is up to date):

Code: Select all

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/DVDpedia/Database.dvdpd
update zEntry set zSortTitle = zTitle where ztitle like '%The ';
update zEntry set zSortTitle = zTitle where ztitle like '%An ';
update zEntry set zSortTitle = zTitle where ztitle like '%A ';
.exit
MOTIVHIMMEL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by MOTIVHIMMEL »

Than we have a bug, because it was not enabled and the sorting is wrong for me for the german ones.

So it looks at the moment like this:
Dark Water
Darkest Hour
Das A-Team
Das Baumhaus
Das Dorf der Verdammten
Das erstaunliche Leben des Walter...
Das fünfte Element
Das Geheimnis der Magiers

But it must be look like this:
Dark Water
Darkest Hour
Dictado
District 9
Django
Das Dorf der Verdammten

So you can see my problem?

Some screenshots:

With active "Ignoring article".

Title Sorting is inactive...

Sorting with removed table "sort title". German articles (Das...) are still present but english ones are correct sorted in the list ("The Dark Knight" for example and "the" is ignored).

As you can see... Ignoring articels is still active..,
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the all the information. In the last examples (with title sort off, title sort column removed and ignoring articles active) do try clicking on Director and then back on the title column, is "Das" still under "D"? As there must be another element involved as I can't repeat the issue.

Ignore preferences off and all Das together under "D":

Turning on the preference to ignore and they mingle with the alphabet:

If it still not sorting correctly please do send me your data to try it out with the same data. You will find the database in your data folder located in your home folder at ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Database.dvdpd. Under Yosemite you must use the Finder "Go" menu and hold down the option key and select the "Library" option. Once there navigate to Application Support/DVDpedia and select Database.dvdpd and use the "Compress" command under the main "File" menu. This will create a .zip version that you can then attach to an email message.
MOTIVHIMMEL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by MOTIVHIMMEL »

Hi Conor,

thanks for your explanations. For some strange reason it was now all right in my list. I have no idea what's happen now. I think I forgotten to click on the "Title Tab" again to let it sorting again correctly. No Idea why it was sorted yesterday near correctly, but with the ignored article...???

Well done, it works now without your tips.

Thank you so much for your amazing support (again :D ).
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Excellent. Great to hear, thank you for the kind words.