Update Problem

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
sitman
Contributor
Contributor

Update Problem

Post by sitman »

I have DVDpedia 5.3.2 and am trying to update to the available v5.4. After I download and extract the update, I click the Install & Restart button, but immediately get a message "Autoupdate wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this." I cancel that box, and then get an "Alert - Authenticated file copy from /Users/BillShepard/Libary/Application Support/DVDpedia 5.4.0 146/DVDpedia.app to /Applications/DVDpedia5/DVDpedia.app failed."

http://filmblanc.info/autoUpdate_alert.jpg

I should add that the "Autoupdate wants to make changes...." message pops up by itself once or twice a day, so I don't know if it's related to the DVDpedia application. I've never entered my Admin password, I just cancel it, as I'm concerned that it might be malware.

I just unchecked the "Automatically download and install updates in the future" in the DVDpedia Software Update dialog box, to see if that stops the Autoupdate message from appearing.

My Mac is v10.7.5

Apologize if this has answered previously, didn't find anything searching the forum. Thanks.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Update Problem

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the detailed message. You have correctly set up your computer so that /Applications folder is protected and requires an administrator. The auto update needs the administrator password to replace DVDpedia.app in your /Applications folder with the new version that it has downloaded to a temporary location.

If you prefer not giving your password to our auto update program you can manually update DVDpedia by downloading DVDpedia and then dragging the new version into /Applications/DVDpedia5 folder to replace your current DVDpedia. You will then be prompted for the administrator password but this time it will be the built in Apple Finder that is asking for it to make changes to the /Applications folder.

I concur that the password request dialog should be more explicit about what it wants the password for, but that part of the window is up to Apple.

The "Automatically download and install updates in the future" check box is a feature that lets you forget about updates and allows the auto update do it automatically. It will not disable the message letting you know a new version is available. To disable the message visit "DVDpedia -> Preferences" menu command and uncheck "Check for Updates" feature. This will disable all update checks and you will no longer get a notification on a new version. But I would recommend against disabling the check for updates, as you might then forget to check on a regular basis to find if there is a new version of DVDpedia available. You can initiate a manual check from the same "DVDpedia" menu.

If you leave the check for updates on, when the notification for an update pops up you can cancel entering your password and visit our website and manually download and install the new version as mentioned above.
sitman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Update Problem

Post by sitman »

Thanks very much, all is good now!