Problem Exporting Copyright (c) Symbol

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
kennedyrt
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Problem Exporting Copyright (c) Symbol

Post by kennedyrt »

I am using Bookpedia 5.4.1 and OS X (El Capitan) version 10.11.1 on a Mac Pro with 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 memory, 250 GB of free SSD space, and a 27" Apple LED Cinema Display with built in camera.

In the "Comments" field I entered the copyright symbol by clicking the Edit menu, selecting "Emoji & Symbols", scrolling down to "Letterlike Symbols" and clicking on the copyright symbol (c).

When exported to a CSV file and imported into Microsoft Excel 2016 for the Mac, the copyright symbol (c) is prepended by the character Â.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Problem Exporting Copyright (c) Symbol

Post by Conor »

Thank you so much for all the details and the exact steps, so that I could try it out with the same setup. The export from Bookpedia is correctly encoded as UTF8 and displays correctly in BBEdit as well as Text edit and several other Text readers. The issue lies on how Excel is reading the file. Do try opening the file in Bbedit or the free version TextWrangler and changing the encoding to Latin1 that Microsoft is more used to using than UTF8.