importing iBooks

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
FineWine
Site Admin

importing iBooks

Post by FineWine »

Went to update my iBook purchases today by high-lighting them in iBooks then dragging and droping over the Bookpedia Dock icon. Discovered that not all came over. The only way I could import them ALL into Bookpedia was to high-light them in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks.

Also discovered that in the Format field it had entered the number of pages (*** pages) and that in the Pages field it had entered a totally different number, this occurred 10 times out 158 iBooks

Bookpedia 5.4.2 Beta 70
El Capitan 10.11.13
iBooks 1.4

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Re: importing iBooks

Post by Conor »

iBooks is inconsistent with the data it sends over, so it's best to get the original EPUB file and send that to Bookpedia to look through.

If you don't mind do send me one of the EPUB files for where the pages was flipped with the format. I can take a look and fix it if possible, if it's not simply that the data is flipped in the actual EPUB file and then there is no way for Bookpedia to tell the difference.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Thanks Conor for your reply. I have sent you a zip file of 4 books.

In all the standard Bookpedia Style templates Details panel you either have the field name "Links' then the iBook epub file number or you just have the iBook epub file number with no field name. Plus if you Right Click in the Details panel you have the menu entry "View Links". All are clickable (hot linked). There is no way to visually know that clicking on these numbers that it opens that eBook in the corresponding eBook reader.

Then in the "Links" tab edit panel you have the full storage file location under the "URL" column which you then high light and then have to click on the "View" word at the bottom of the panel. This again fires up the eBook reader. If you want to goto the actual eBook file location you have to copy the URL link and paste it in Finders "Go to Folder" facility.

Suggestion:

1 - Would it not make sense to label the iBook epub file number Field: "View in eBook Reader" or "View as eBook" or "View in Reader" same with the Right Click menu entry.

2 - Make a new clickable (hot linked) standard Field entry in the Style templates labeled "File Location" (which would be my preference) or/and make the URL in the Links Edit tab clickable (hot linked). You could apply this to all the pedias as we are all more and more storing our media on local hard drives and servers.

Cheers
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Where are we up to with this problem of importing from iBooks? Is Apple still being difficult?

Went to drag from: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks onto the Bookpedia icon and it does not work now.

This is the first I have tried this with macOS Sierra. iBooks 1.10
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Still no access, but I have not checked MacOS High Sierra yet for this.

Strange that it's not picking up the "Books" folder. That folder should be full of open format epub files that Bookpedia should be able to read. I broke my screen on my Sierra machine, and have now the replacement in hand, but not the pentalobe P5 proprietary screw driver that Apple uses. So I am now waiting for delivery of that to fix it. Once I get that done, I'll test on Sierra. For now on the old machine with 10.11 on it, were I can confirm that the drag of the folder still works. Although on this machine I already have iBooks 1.5, strange that your version is lower?
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

iBooks 1.10 (ten)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Would help if I knew how to read a ten. :oops: :D