Track Links to iTunes Incorrect - CDpedia 5.4.2

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Track Links to iTunes Incorrect - CDpedia 5.4.2

Post by DanThe »

This is one might of been brought up before but I couldn't find a reference to it.

When the a track title links to iTunes, it links to the first instance of the track title that is found in iTunes while ignoring the album title. I have many occurrences of this in my collection.

A recent example is Heart's latest album "Beautiful Broken". On this album, Heart recorded new versions of songs previously released on earlier albums. When I entered this album in CDpedia, it linked these previously released songs to the original versions rather than linking the ones found on latest album "Beautiful Broken".

For example the song "Johnny Moon", links to Heart's 1983 album "Passion Works" rather than the new 2016 version of that song found on "Beautiful Broken".

Would it be possible to set the iTunes search in CDpedia to search for the album artist name first, containing the album name second and finally the track name?

The reason for containing the album name second is that there could be many variations of the album title in CDpedia. For example, Phil Collins albums "No Jacket Required" and "No Jacket Required (Deluxe Edition)".

If it is possible then it would also be nice if the incorrect track name links would be refreshed when the album is opened for editing.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Track Links to iTunes Incorrect - CDpedia 5.4.2

Post by Waldbaer »

I once had problems with the track links, too (this thread). I remember that the connection between the track in CDpedia was a little different on each level (matching symbols and playing).

I don't remember why CDpedia does not connect tracks in its database simply to a unique id of a track in iTunes, for both types of connections. Does iTunes not allow that? In most cases, it will find the right ones as it does now, but for other cases (e.g. if you want to keep them different in the databases or correct a wrong link), there should be a possibility to link tracks manually. Would this be possible?

And btw I think the tracks links are refreshed, at least for the symbols - or is this not what you refer to in your last sentence?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thanks for all the details. It should have been taking the album into account but there was a small typo. It's now fixed in the CDpedia beta.

When we started importing from iTunes many years ago it was not possible to use the UniqueID that iTunes had. Now it would be possible, but we need to update the database to add space for it, as well as getting really complex to maintain while keeping all the old imports working.

Hence we have settled for a complex matching script that we have tailored. This error above of not using the album was a bug introduced a few versions back, with a huge update to the internals to match the latest Cocoa standards.

There is no need to refresh as this is done in real time when you ask the song to be played there is no permanent link. It should be able to handle variations in album title, as long as the album name in CDpedia appears as a prefix of the album name in iTunes or vice versa. Partial words matches is much more complex and should be no issue for most. A future version, will add that permanent link via the uniqueID and maybe allow the user to set it as suggested.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

Thanks for your fast fix and explanations, Conor! I'm looking forward to the "future version"... :)
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

Many thanks Connor. Alway a pleasure helping out to describe an issue and having it resolved so quickly. Well done once again.