Bookpedia Not Syncing w/ Pocketpedia

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
abourre

Bookpedia Not Syncing w/ Pocketpedia

Post by abourre »

Hello,

I've been a Bookpedia user for quite some time, but just started using Pocketpedia yesterday. I added books to both Bookpedia and Pocketpedia, and then synced, just to get a handle on the process. Everything worked fine.

However last night I did a long stretch of cataloguing books using Bookpedia, and Pocketpedia will no longer sync with Bookpedia. It will go through the process, but the information stored in Pocketpedia does not update.

All software involved (Pocketpedia, Bookpedia, iOS, and OS X) are all updated to the most recent versions.

(unrelated: Library of Congress searches on Bookpedia crash the app ~40% of the time, and "Update from..." processes using Library of Congress on 2 or more books crash the app 100% of the time)
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia Not Syncing w/ Pocketpedia

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the details and taking the time to write that out.

You are the third user to report something similar in the latest version. to help me get to the bottom of it, can you restart Pocketpedia on your iPhone. Double tap home button, then swipe Pocketpedia up and away. Then tap Pocketpedia again to launch. This will let us know if the database is not making it over or if it's a cache issue.

If that does not resolve it, can you take a look at your data folder for Bookpedia on the Mac. Hold down the option (alt) key and click on the Finder "Go" menu, elect "Library". Then navigate to "Application Support/Bookpedia". Remove and files starting with "Pocketpedia" and let me know if there is a file called "Database.dvdpd-wal".

With no Pocketpedia download the beta and try the sync again, I made a few small changes. If that fails could you have a look at your console log, see if there are any messages from Bookpedia? You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log. It might let us know where it's failing to send the data.

Thanks for the heads up on the Library of Congress change, also now fixed in the same beta version and will be part of the next official release in a few days.
abourre

Post by abourre »

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I restarted both Pocketpedia & Bookpedia (I also reboot both my iMac and my iPhone), with no improvement.

There are no files that I can locate in Application Support/Bookpedia that begin with "Pocketpedia" nor is there a file called "Database.dvdpd-wal". (I also checked all the subfolders in that directory.)

I downloaded and tried the beta, and was able to sync Bookpedia/Pocketpedia successfully once again.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad to hear the Beta worked. I'll release an update with that.
DanCornett

Post by DanCornett »

I have seen the opposite (just sent an email about it minutes ago today).

Make a change on Pocketpedia (e.g. last-read date set, add rating), which results in smart-collection moving the book from one collection to another.

A few minutes later, open Bookpedia, sync from Pocketpedia ... and those changes are "un-done". The Bookpedia status prevails.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

To avoid confusion, since this is a repost to an old issue. The issue DanCornett was seeing with the failed sync, was only in version 3.4.2, that was only available between October 7th and the 9th.

Everybody should now be updated to version 3.4.3, if you do experience any sync issues, please do check the App Store for updates.

Thank you to everybody who emailed in so promptly letting me fix the issue and and release an update quickly. Also the App Store review team for short review times of mere hours, instead of the several days it used to take.