Bug: Editing a field in library weirdness.

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
AarbronBeast
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Bug: Editing a field in library weirdness.

Post by AarbronBeast »

Mid-2010 Mac Pro, macOS Sierra 10.12.1
Bookpedia 5.5.0
(Probably happens in DVDpedia as well, not tested.)

While viewing the library, click twice on one of the fields (for example: Series) so that the blue highlight appears around the field indicating it is in edit mode. Now click on one of the other lists (a smart collection, the borrowed list, etc.) and then click back to Library and located the record you were editing. Notice that the Series field (or whatever field you chose) is now blank. Clicking twice in that field will bring the value back but it now appears to be confused as to whether or not it is in edit mode as the blue outline is gone. If you click away from that field, the blue outline will appear but it is not in edit mode anymore. Also, continuing to use the application in this state (using the search field, double-clicking to edit items, etc.) will eventually cause the library's scroll bar to disappear!

Restarting the app corrects the problem.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bug: Editing a field in library weirdness.

Post by Conor »

Thank you. I can't repeat it outside of 10.12.1 beta, so it might be a macOS Sierra beta bug. If still present in the official release of 10.12.1, I shall revise it again and see if there is a work around.
AarbronBeast
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by AarbronBeast »

You mean 10.12.2, right? I reported this bug using the public release of Sierra 10.12.1.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Indeed, I meant the latest beta. I'll take another stab at it, as I it only happened in 10.12.2 and not on the machine we keep with the official release. Either way it will be for the next release, as Apple has now reviewed and approved the next version, so that will be out in a few hours.
audacious
Captain
Captain

Post by audacious »

I am having issues as well. I added Def Leppard - High 'n' Dry to CDPedia. I have the 12 track version so I added the only option with the 12 tracks. It was a Japanese issue, not the one I have but it was the closest and so I added it. I then set about changing / correcting those fields I needed to correct. Among them - the band name, Def Leppard, was capitalized completely. I tried to lower case all letters but the 'D' and 'L' and it immediately switched back. I then tried to select from the drop down menu in the artist field. Def Leppard should have been there as I had another cd already in the library ... but it was not an option. For my third try - I entered the other cd and copied the artist name then went back into this one and pasted it ... it still changed back to all caps. Once it is in my library - shouldn't I be able to control what is in the fields?
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

You wouldn't by any chance have “Capitalize words automatically” selected in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text. Also “Correct spelling automatically” might be the culprit.

Just a thought - Cheers
AarbronBeast
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by AarbronBeast »

Not related to audacious's issue, I just wanted to confirm that the original bug that I reported in this thread is no longer present in the latest version of the pedias with macOS Sierra 10.12.1.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

@AarbronBeast Thank you for the verification fix.

@audacious Thank you for the clear explanation and the use of specific example that you were having problems with.

This is a rare bug that is normally not an issue. When you accept the entry into your library, you are telling CDpedia that all the data is good and it adds "DEF LEPPARD" into the options to autofill. From then on autofilling will correct capitalization from all the approved values, including the previously entered capitalized version.

To fix remove the incorrect capitalized version from the autofill in CDpedia -> Preferences -> Autofill. Switch the pop up at the top of the window to "Artist". Then select "DEF LEPPARD" in the list and press delete.

You are now able to enter it properly capitalized.

Do double check the previous entry is correct, as once an autofill is entered adding another different capitalization of the same letters should not be option. E.i. Artist are only capitalized one single way according to CDpedia.

Semi-related, something I do often and trying to think of how to bring more into the mainstream for future versions is to use the rebuild button in that autofill preference. It will build the list based on all your current data, I find it really useful to find incorrect artist, by seeing only the list of unique values that this creates.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

FineWine wrote:You wouldn't by any chance have “Capitalize words automatically” selected in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text. Also “Correct spelling automatically” might be the culprit
Conor wrote:To fix remove the incorrect capitalized version from the autofill in CDpedia -> Preferences -> Autofill. Switch the pop up at the top of the window to "Artist". Then select "DEF LEPPARD" in the list and press delete.
DOH me, "Keep it simple stupid". Trouble is that the pedia's are so full of good things you forget about them. But I suppose only a father knows their child entirely :) Thanks Conor for the timely reminder.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I use them daily and they surprise me from time to time. :) The Pedias are in their teens now. :)
audacious
Captain
Captain

Post by audacious »

Conor wrote:@AarbronBeast Thank you for the verification fix.

@audacious Thank you for the clear explanation and the use of specific example that you were having problems with.

This is a rare bug that is normally not an issue. When you accept the entry into your library, you are telling CDpedia that all the data is good and it adds "DEF LEPPARD" into the options to autofill. From then on autofilling will correct capitalization from all the approved values, including the previously entered capitalized version.

To fix remove the incorrect capitalized version from the autofill in CDpedia -> Preferences -> Autofill. Switch the pop up at the top of the window to "Artist". Then select "DEF LEPPARD" in the list and press delete.

You are now able to enter it properly capitalized.

Do double check the previous entry is correct, as once an autofill is entered adding another different capitalization of the same letters should not be option. E.i. Artist are only capitalized one single way according to CDpedia.

Semi-related, something I do often and trying to think of how to bring more into the mainstream for future versions is to use the rebuild button in that autofill preference. It will build the list based on all your current data, I find it really useful to find incorrect artist, by seeing only the list of unique values that this creates.
Thank you Conor. This helped. In this example, I already had three Def Leppard CDs in the library, all capitalized appropriately. This one cd refused to do so. All seems corrected now. Thanks again.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad it's still an edge case bug and that I was able to help. I still have it marked as a bug, that maybe someday I can fix. At the moment a fix means breaking the auto correction of capitalization which is useful most of the time, when the values are correct.