Synchronisation bug (and work-around)

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Draakje

Synchronisation bug (and work-around)

Post by Draakje »

I had to re-install my MacBook. And afterwards re-installed BookPedia and DVDPedia. Still had a copy of my collections on iPhone and iPad.

I am on the same network with all three machines.

Syncing from PocketPedia to BookPedia does not work. (Same for DVDPedia). I did get the request for allowance (OK) did not sync towards BookPedia.

When I tried to create an additional book (test) in BookPedia the synchronisation happened but the PocketPedia database was overwritten (now only containing the 'test' entry).

Work-around:
When adding a 'test' dvd on the PocketPedia, synchronisation towards DVDPedia is working (after restarting both applications). The same trick is working for BookPedia. (I do not have CDPedia, so I can not test if the same error happens there).

It looks as if you have a ‘last synchronisation date’ and a ‘last update date’ on PocketPedia and if the first is greater than the second there are no records transferred to BookPedia and DVDPedia.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Synchronisation bug (and work-around)

Post by Conor »

Sorry to hear you had to wipe your computer.

The Mac database is the master version of the database. And although sync happens both ways it only syncs a record of changes that have happened since the last sync to keep the sync fast.

If your Bookpedia is complexity empty, it will try to recreate your entire collection from the data in Bookpedia. As you found out if there is a single record in your new Bookpedia, then it will warn about over writing the database and starting a new as there is no way to reconcile two distinct databases and merge them.

We do keep an last updated date on both systems and indeed Pocketpedia skips sending data back if there is no need. Although in the latest versions, I have change did so Bookpedia request the data if the database is empty. Since the sync is timing it out, it seems it's having issues importing all that data. If your database is large you might give it more time or check the console log for error messages from Bookpedia when trying to do that restore.

However, we highly recommend restoring from a backup of your computer instead, as the data has already been modified for iOS and is not as detailed as the original; specifically the images have been scaled.

Since you have tried the sync, do visit your data folder (~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia. To reach the correct folder hold down the option key and click on the Finder “Go” menu then select “Library”. This will get you in the correct Library folder. From there Application Support and Bookpedia folders), there will now be a "Pocketpedia.bookpd" file that is the synced information from Pocketpedia.

Without Bookpedia running, change the name of "Database.bookpd" to "OLDDatabase.bookpd" and then rename "Pocketpedia.bookpd" to "Database.dvdpd". Launch Bookpedia and you should have all the data from Pocketpedia, without the covers. Which can be added via the contextual menu on the cover well on the bottom left or via "Book -> update from -> Doghouse or [other search site]" menu command.

You can also pull the same data file from your iTunes backup of the iOS device if you have been doing those. To pull the data directly from a backup with backup extractor.

Launch it and press the "Read Backups" and select the device in question and then look for "com.bruji.pocketpedia3". Select it and use extract to your desktop, the file you are looking for will be in "Private Documents"

You can then replace the one in your ~/Library/Application Support/CDpedia data folder with this one called "Database.cdpd" in the extracted data.

Kind regards,
Conor