Competition

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
skellener

Competition

Post by skellener »

With the release of a new competing product from another company, I hope development will not cease on your great applications Conor. While the other application has some nice bells and whistles, I think the layout of the data in the Pedia apps is far superior. There's also more control in the Pedia apps. Plus, the export to HTML feature is also still the best one I have found.

My only suggestion for the Pedia apps is the same one I had already sent in. An all encompassing Pedia App would be nice. Why not merge the apps into one, allowing one database of information. DVD's, CDs, Books, Games, etc. That is the one aspect of that other app I do like.

Please keep up the great work you have been doing!

Best regards,

Steve
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you, Steve. I must say I was worried when I saw all the screenshots of the competition before it was released. But now that is has been released and I was able to check it out, it falls short in many areas and it's very buggy. It is not at all what I expect, from all the hype. They do however have an incredibly talented graphic designer. I still have a large to do list with lots of suggestions I hope to get to soon.

One of the early suggestions was a cover view similar to the competition, the one aspect I like of their software. I like to implement it but not as flashy and overcrowded, more iPhoto style. Also an update to the new version of the Amazon web services is at the top of the list, that will hopefully make downloads faster. Also because I will have to re-write the Amazon download code it will provide me with more flexibility to make an all in one app, as I can keep that in mind as I write the code.

P.S. So much to do, so little time. :) I've been meaning to post a to do list so that it will be easier to keep track of all the suggestions already posted. Look out for it. We've also been designing a new website that should be out some time soon.
cat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cat »

don't worry, I've tried the other app too and your's far far better!!!
Looks ain't erverything :twisted:

and especially for movie enthusiasts you have the more detailed features for sorting, searcing etc.

just go for it!
JetPilot
Inductee
Inductee

ALL-IN-ONE

Post by JetPilot »

I agree. Combining to an all-in-one would be better. Don't know if it will justify a $40 price however so maybe a compromise. $25? $30??

JetPilot
shari

the others and combo apps

Post by shari »

I'm new to the pedia experience, but I have been trying a number of similar solutions, including my own Filemaker database. I think 'pedia is a great set of products. I am using CDpedia and DVDpedia.

I want to put a vote here for continuing development of separate databases/products. I have over 2000 CDs, and have so far catalogued a thousand books (in another application). I don't want to sort through all of that when I just need to see if I have left THE SEARCHERS dvd at work, at home, or at a friend's. For some of us with large collections, separate databases with lots of customizing options is preferable, though I will admit that the app-that-shall-not-be-named looks really cool! (I bought it, and then found the bugs in it to be too plentiful).

Thanks for a fine product at a good price, by the way!