view counter

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
samu-mac
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

view counter

Post by samu-mac »

Hello,

as i understood, the view counter counts only the views you manually add

would be cool if whenever you PLAY it from the URL it counts +1
this will be so immediate, as i play this movie everytime from DVDpedia and i get a really precise statistic without have to manual add.

as i have the computer connected to my TV DVDpedia is working like a media station for my movies, and it's awesome.

would be cool if more options like that for those use DVDpedia same way :)

Cheers
Nora
Site Admin

Re: view counter

Post by Nora »

Good idea, we'll add it to the next version. (It's also part of the latest beta if you want to try it out early.)
The Last Seen and View count will be automatically updated when you click on the movie link or use the play button. Just in case, we've set it to only do this once a day, i.e. if you play a movie more than once you'll have to adjust the play count manually.
samu-mac
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by samu-mac »

Nora wrote:Good idea, we'll add it to the next version. (It's also part of the latest beta if you want to try it out early.)
The Last Seen and View count will be automatically updated when you click on the movie link or use the play button. Just in case, we've set it to only do this once a day, i.e. if you play a movie more than once you'll have to adjust the play count manually.
Ye, this work smart as intended in my mind!

Great Job
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Nora wrote:The Last Seen and View count will be automatically updated when you click on the movie link or use the play button.
To be clear, are the Last Seen and Last Seen History dates being auto-updated? Is this also applicable when selecting Movie > View Links?

One issue I'd have with those dates and play count being auto-updated is when I'm only "previewing" a video, not intending to fully watch it. Good to know it'll only happen one a day. :)

Speaking of Last Seen History, what actions can cause a date to be added there (and Play Count incremented?) while the Last Seen field remains empty? I just discovered a few items like that and not sure how it happened.

Thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

To be clear, are the Last Seen and Last Seen History dates being auto-updated? Is this also applicable when selecting Movie > View Links?
Yes, clicking on a link or the links button or using the menu command all trigger the same behaviour. That's why it only adds a 'view' once a day, just in case.
Speaking of Last Seen History, what actions can cause a date to be added there (and Play Count incremented?) while the Last Seen field remains empty? I just discovered a few items like that and not sure how it happened.
If you had ever set 'Last Seen' and then removed it again this might have caused that behaviour.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Nora wrote:Yes, clicking on a link or the links button or using the menu command all trigger the same behaviour. That's why it only adds a 'view' once a day, just in case.
Might you consider making this new date/count auto-update triggering behaviour optional? Specifically, I'd prefer to at least continue updating Last Seen manually even if Play Count is auto-incremented. I've relied on Last Seen remaining empty until explicitly setting it after fully watching a film/video.
If you had ever set 'Last Seen' and then removed it again this might have caused that behaviour.
Ahh, that's the most probable explanation. A side effect of unintentionally typing one of the Movie > Mark As > Seen … shortcuts a few times, filling the Last Seen field that I manually cleared afterwards while the Last Seen History remained intact. Would be trivial to find and fix the small number of affected items, although I'm much more interested in Last Seen field accuracy (as implied above) than stray Last Seen History entries (and Play Count).
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Might you consider making this new date/count auto-update triggering behaviour optional?
We've added a secret preference to let you disable it if you're not interested in having the program do it for you. Download beta 2 and run Terminal from Applications/Utilities. Enter

Code: Select all

defaults write com.bruji.dvdpedia "Disable Link Count" -bool YES
into the window and press Return to disable the automatic view count and last seen option trigger.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Nora wrote:We've added a secret preference to let you disable it if you're not interested in having the program do it for you.
That's perfect - thanks! I'd considered suggesting making it a hidden preference (un)settable with the defaults … command. :)

Untested, since I'm still running 5.0.1 instead of jumping into the beta train for now.
cubimen
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by cubimen »

I don't like an automatic view counter, so I try this secret preference with DVDpedia 5.5.0 (OS X 10.11.6) and the result is:
-When I play the link through "Show movie/ver pelicula" button: That's perfect, don't add a date to view history.
-But when I run the link through "Links" button (it is more comfortable when there are linked several files): It doesn't work, add a date to view history.

Is possible to fix it?
Thanks in advance
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the details, I would not have found it without all the steps. As it was a very specific bug, the on screen menu when playing many possible movies was the one increasing the count. I have fixed the bug in the DVDpedia beta.
cubimen
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by cubimen »

Many thank's Conor.
I've tested it with DVDpedia 5.5.1 and is fix: Perfect!
Great app support.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you.