Pocketpedia: confirm delete, custom borrowing date, autosync

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
kprice5
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Pocketpedia: confirm delete, custom borrowing date, autosync

Post by kprice5 »

Hi,

First of all, I have really been enjoying Pocketpedia. Great job!

1) Confirm delete. We are using pocketpedia on an ipad for most loans of items. In doing so, it seems that there should be a "confirm delete" option before deleting, as the button is easy to push accidentally. In my trials the deleted item is not synced to the Mac-based software until confirmed by the user, but at the same time it would be nice to build in a safety net for deletion in the app as well.

2) Custom loan dates. It would be nice to customize loan dates on the iPad, just as one can on the mac. In order to extend the default loan period one has to return to the Mac to update the loan period.

3) Autosync database. Is it possible for the pocketpedia database to autosync with the mac when they are on the same wireless network?

Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Pocketpedia: confirm delete, custom borrowing date, auto

Post by Conor »

Very glad you are enjoying Pocketpedia on the iPad. Thank you for the feedback on it as well, it's important to know what are users are looking for.

1) We had not considered that the delete was easy to hit as it's in a new panel, but will look into it see if it's necessary to add an additional dialog when deleting.

2) Our plan is to include the due date in a future edit mode that will allow the editing of all the fields in Pocketpedia. Not sure how this will look yet as we haven't yet started work on it.

3) It's currently necessary to hit the sync button, so that users are aware of the changes. Sync is a complicated procedure and in the future it would be nice to slowly remove the user from having to intervene. But as you mention above, the user is needed in a lot of cases like the "are you sure you want to delete" message that appears if Pocketpedia is trying to remove an item via sync. iOS is also limited and it's unlikely that Pocketpedia would be running if the users does not specifically lunch it to begin the sync.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Conor wrote:3) It's currently necessary to hit the sync button, so that users are aware of the changes. Sync is a complicated procedure and in the future it would be nice to slowly remove the user from having to intervene. But as you mention above, the user is needed in a lot of cases like the "are you sure you want to delete" message that appears if Pocketpedia is trying to remove an item via sync. iOS is also limited and it's unlikely that Pocketpedia would be running if the users does not specifically lunch it to begin the sync.
Could not all this sync'ing be done via an iCloud function automatically in the background. I use an App called SoundHound which does this with its bookmark function. I make a bookmark on one iDevice and it updates all iDevices, this of course would extend to iMac's and laptops in the pedia's case.

Anyway just a thought.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

iCloud is on the explored and waiting for it to get better list. Although great for small bits of data it's not so great for larger databases such as the ones in the Pedias. Also the Mac versions will need sandboxing that is another huge technological investment that would have no benefits for users that we must get done, before we are even allowed to use iCloud on the Mac.
anotherspot

Post by anotherspot »

I already use Dropbox to keep my pedia libraries between my laptop and desktop. Is it possible for a manual retrieve / push sync for pocketpedia? Sandbox on mac platform shouldn't be required.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Dropbox is a great service and many users use it for keeping Pedias in sync between Macs. Thank you for the feedback about extending it for Pocketpedia. It's something we want to look into it, if the APIs for Dropbox are as wonderful as I hear from fellow developers then it should be a distinct possibility for a future Pocketpedia update.
democrite
Contributor
Contributor

Post by democrite »

I think Dropbox is the most reliable solution. I haven't tried iCloud in iOS; it's supposed to be improved though not sure if you want to make the app iOS6+.

Other apps like 1Password, and Day One, handle this by making the database a package, and having each entry as a separate file. And with the delta sync API, syncing becomes quick.
caorongjin
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by caorongjin »

I know the iCloud API is not as smooth as people want, but it is better supported in <ahem> China than DropBox (which is blocked for some bizarre reason). Of course, I found on another forum thread that Bookpedia has few China users, but I am one of them… and would hate to have to go onto VPN just to sync my Pocketpedia. :(
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for letting me know about DropBox, I was not aware that it was blocked in China.
tbutler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tbutler »

Is there any progress on a cloud synchronization solution like the ones discussed in this thread?

Thanks,
Tim
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We are working on updating the Apps to 10.8 only before we can even begin to tackle iCloud.