Maybe soon Metric dimensions of the books, medias ??

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Nikolao

Maybe soon Metric dimensions of the books, medias ??

Post by Nikolao »

I think, your softwares being localized in french, german, spanish, italian, dutch, … that it would be now very nice to allow the choice between metric and imperial dimensions.
Dimensions in inches doesn't speak to us continental europeans.
Hoping good news.
I wish you all the best for 2014.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Maybe soon Metric dimensions of the books, medias ??

Post by Nora »

The dimensions entered depend on the website you use for your search. Bookpedia doesn't apply any format to it but simply takes over the information sent by the sites.
Nikolao

Post by Nikolao »

Thank you Nora for your quick response but …

I don't understand because as I make a search in Amazon.fr for a book in french, (that book http://www.amazon.fr/Chat-18-bible-selo ... rds=geluck ) and I add it to my collection and then, when I check the dimensions in Bookpedia they are shown in inches, not as mentioned on the Amazon.fr page.

So, Any reason for that ?

Thank you by advance.

Best wishes.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Amazon API data differs sometimes from what is listed on their website. Since they are an American company sometimes they information they list on the API is in inches. As is the case for the example you sent. Here is the raw results:
<Height Units="hundredths-inches">79</Height><Length Units="hundredths-inches">1205</Length><Weight Units="hundredths-pounds">194</Weight><Width Units="hundredths-inches">882</Width>
I have integrated an automatic conversion from the imperial for those with metric settings in their system preferences. You can test it out in the beta version. You should now get "30.6 x 22.4 x 2.0 cm". One of these days I will have to update the separator as well to use the French comma instead of the period, but that is a bigger change that can't go in such a small update.
Nikolao

Post by Nikolao »

Hi Connor,

Thank you very much, this is working very good for new entries.
I imagine that for the yet recorded books it's much more difficult to make the dimensions switchable between metric and imperial mesures and it should then be done manually one after the other.

I suppose this change in the beta version which link you just sent will be included in next stable version of Bookpedia (and maybe also the other ~pedias)

I must say, I am very impressed about the reactive service you offer.

Again thanks a lot.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It is a lot more complicated to make retroactive for older entries. As well as make it switchable in realtime as it's a single field for all the dimensions and not one for each side that would be stored as a number.

The change will be included with the next official release as well as all the Pedias. All the beta version are up as well in case you would like to update another Pedia in the meantime.