OS X like coloured Tags to sort

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
amk

OS X like coloured Tags to sort

Post by amk »

Hallo,

as I am sorting my Musik, I find it quite conveniant to be able to sort the main categories with the help of OS X's 7 different colour Tags.

I set up 14 main genres (like Rock for example) and then the sub genres (like indie rock, Rock 'n Roll, Surf Rock, Southern Rock).
Then the main and the sub genres get 1 of the colours -> so it is easily to see them and sort them.
By simply using the colours twice, I have 14 genres to sort. Enough for Pop to Classic and back :-)

The Trick is, that I attached little round stickers in the same colour on each CD (small back side) so when they are sorted in a cabinet, one can easily see the genres. For example 1 neon red dot = pop; two yellow dots = Slasa and so on...
You even could mix them! makes 823543 different ways to lable the genres - quite enough ;-)

So it would be a killer feature, if one could have the 7 OS X colours to chose from in CDPedia or any other pedia.
You then could choose one red or two red or one blue one red by simply marking coloured fields.

you even could sort by colour (your own idea of a genre) then!

So, when searching "The Rolling Stones" -> one gets a colour back and could easily find the right CD in the cabinet

Colours to choose from and mixing them would be a great help in linking the databases to the real world.
And it would link to the same order in ones music collection on the Mac!
You would have the same sort system in real world, on the Mac and in the database

Have a nice week,

Arne
Conor
Top Dog

Re: OS X like coloured Tags to sort

Post by Conor »

That is an interesting system of categorizing. I had never even dreamed of a colored field type in the Pedias. It has a lot of potential and I have now written it down as something to investigate for the next major release. Users have asked for color tagging specially changing the row to match the color, but your idea of a color field seems more flexible. It could then be expanded to actually affect the row coloring or the details view background.

They could be extra fields like the custom fields. Speaking of custom fields do not wait on CDpedia to add your color information as they would happen with a major release. You can take over two of the custom fields and add color information to them (albeit in a text format). It would allow you to sort by these colors, although the sorting would be very similar to sorting by genre. You could even sort by genre first to allow you to quickly add the color information with the multiple edit feature.

Taking the above further if you are into HTML you could modify the details view HTML to take that color information from the field and actually show a color instead of the text or even change the background as mentioned above.

Thank you for the details on how you would use it and the feature suggestion.