smart list update point

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

smart list update point

Post by Waldbaer »

Hi Bruji,
I want to request that smart lists should only be updated on mouseup/completing entry modification. The reason is the following: I have a smart list "not yet rated". If I now want to rate any entry in it, I can do this only using complete stars and have now chance to check if I actually clicked the correct one. Of course I can workaround this by using the complete edit panel, but it would be a lot easier using the drag-to-rate-feature, if the entry would not disappear in the moment I begin dragging.
I hope this is as easy to realize as it sounds... Thanks again for all your work! :)
Waldbaer
Conor
Top Dog

Re: smart list update point

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the precise and clear details on the issue and the need to improve it. Mouse up is a great idea, sadly complicated as the table view from Apple consumes a lot of the mouse events for it's own implementation and hard to capture and override without confusing the table view. But what I have done is add a 5.0 second delay to the smart collection update when changing the my rating in the table view. So although not as professional as mouse up, it should work reasonably well. In the beta's as usual for testing: DVDpedia, CDpedia and Bookpedia.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

Hi Conor,
thanks for your fast response! I actually had the problem in CDpedia, but I tried it out in your linked version of bookpedia and it seems nothing has changed, it's still updated immediately (I can even hold mouse down and the list will shrink at high speed). Then I discovered, that you probably have linked to the official stable version instead of the beta. If you link again to the beta, I'll try it out again (can't remember the beta-link at the moment).
BTW, I normally prefer to use the stable versions for every day use (especially for the complete update notes, to keep track of everything new :-) ). I found that I seem to have accepted beta-updates in CDpedia, but I don't find the preference to turn it off anymore... maybe you could help there easily, too. :oops:
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I did indeed add the wrong link, sorry about that. I have updated the links to point to the beta version as well as a link to CDpedia.

The update feature is tied to the version that was downloaded. The beta version will check everyday for new updates of the beta version. The regular version will only check for official updates and will do so on a weekly schedule.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

Ah, thanks again. The feature feels good in using it. Maybe it's even better than mouseup this way because you can check the result when the change is done completely. I like the timing, it gives plenty of time to add and correct a star-rating and just before I might ask myself if it is actually updating automatically, it does exactly that.

The update process sounds very logical and simple, actually, I just thought there had been a preference for this once ago. Doesn't matter, it's great the way you explained it. :)