Disable Search Animation

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Seems Reasonable
Inductee
Inductee

Disable Search Animation

Post by Seems Reasonable »

I would like to disable the animation of the spyglass and "Search" text moving to the left when I click on the search box in the upper right corner. Waiting for a half-second second between clicking on the box and typing is just kind of annoying. Also, after it does the animation I would like it if it showed the cursor. I realize that I can just start typing and the text will appear but I am trained to look for the cursor to know where my input focus is and when it doesn't appear there I frequently click again to make the cursor appear so that I know that the characters I type will go there. This second click is annoying too. It could be a hidden preference if necessary, but I would just like some way so that as soon as I click on that box the cursor instantly appears on the left-hand side and it is ready to accept my input. The way search boxes used to be back in the good old days.
cervantes
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Disable Search Animation

Post by cervantes »

In what program?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Disable Search Animation

Post by Conor »

Thanks for the feedback. The search field changes are Apple changes to the way the default search field works. The cursor missing is a bug, that I shall try to track down as I can't immediately repeat it here. I do get the cursor appearing correctly right away.

With the release of OS X 10.11 Apple also added an option to be able to avoid the animation and always have the text on the left, sadly it's still buggy and makes the magnifying glass disappear although you can still click on the location where it would be to get the menu. I have a bug open with Apple for this to be fixed, once that is fixed I can set the text to always be on the left instead of animating for those running 10.11.4 or whatever version they fix the bug on.