Additional navigation/shortcut keys during edit

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
AarbronBeast
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Additional navigation/shortcut keys during edit

Post by AarbronBeast »

Note: This request pertains specifically to Bookpedia, but may also apply to the other Pedias.

(1) While I am viewing the details of a book (after I double-clicked on a book to edit) I can still use the up/down (or left/right) to go to the next & previous books. However, the moment I click on a field (which activated the field editor), I can no longer use the arrows to go to the previous/next books. It would be nice if this was still possible. Either that, or a shortcut (Cmd-Enter for example) to end field edit mode and remove focus from any fields so that the arrow keys work again.

(2) A keyboard shortcut to move between the Main/Extra/Selling/Links tabs.

(3) While viewing the Links tab in the book edit window, I'd like to be able to hit the delete key to remove the currently highlighted link rather than grab the mouse to click the little "-" button on the bottom left.

Thanks.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Additional navigation/shortcut keys during edit

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback on using the program.

1. Command-N and command-B will move you forwards and backwards, no matter where the focus is set. But the command-Enter is a great idea, now in the Bookpedia Beta.

2. Command-[ and command-] will move between the tabs, command-1 through 4 will jump directly to a specific tab. Command-shift-E will open the edit window directly into the extras tab, from the main window.

3. That should indeed work and I can confirm it works. The down arrow should get the focus into the links section (bright blue by default) and then delete should work.
AarbronBeast
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by AarbronBeast »

Thanks for the info! These keyboard shortcuts are valuable information! I should have tried the delete backwards key (i.e. backspace) as I kept mashing the delete forward key instead. :)

I suggest that these secret shortcuts are put into the app menu as that is the first place of discovery for many users looking for app capabilities. :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Having only laptops at work means the delete forward key goes unnoticed around here.

I have added that one as well to work like the backspace. So we now have any of the following will work as delete: NSBackspaceCharacter, NSDeleteCharacter, NSDeleteFunctionKey.

Indeed we try to fit what we can into the menu, so that keyboard shortcuts can be discovered. But on elements that are attached to certain tabs/windows it's hard to embed those shortcuts into a menu command. We shall put making a keyboard cheat sheet for the Pedias as part of the next documentation upgrade.