Question regarding SRU and formats

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
itst

Question regarding SRU and formats

Post by itst »

Hi there :)

I am new to Bookpedia, currently trying to start getting my collection up and running. Up until now, I like Bookpedia a lot. I tested "them all" and this is really is the only software that seems to be decent enough to invest time into. That comes across rather bland as I re-read it. Really, I do like Bookpedia!

Since I am in Germany, I'd like to access the catalog of the German National Library (DNB). They provide access via SRU.

From what I gathered in the forums, Bookpedia supports SRU. Is that right?

Also, which format should I choose? When setting up an account with the DNB, they ask which format you want to consume. They are offering: Which of those can Bookpedia consume?

Thanks
Sascha
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Question regarding SRU and formats

Post by Conor »

Hi Sascha,

Thank you for choosing Bookpedia and welcome to the Bookpedia community.

We have z39.50 and have written an SRU connection for the Library of Congress but it's not yet exposed to the user. Unlike z39.50 SRU is a bit more flexible, so it's hard to encode a simple interface for setting the URL and format of the query. Bookpedia understands both Marc21-xml and Dublin Core but use the Marc21 as it's the version we are using from the LOC. Personally I prefer the Dublin Core, more readable, but less tested.

Give me a few days (asked the DNB for access to test directly against your access point) and I can see if there is a basic way to expose the SRU interface via the z39.50 setup for the DNB.

Some users have written search plugins for non supported APIs (via the plugin feature in Objective-C), but pretty sure I have never seen one for the DNB that you could download.
itst

Post by itst »

Hi Conor

thank you. At first I was a disappointed how long it took Bruji to publish my post. Now I understand that you wanted to take direct action. Amazing :D

I am in the process of setting up my collection and need to decide on a few things, which will take some time. So, no hurry. I am looking forward to hearing from you. And if you need some other than your staff to test something, let me know.

Cheers
Sascha
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Welcome Sascha to the wonderful world of Bruji and their fabulous pedia's.
itst wrote:Hi Conor

thank you. At first I was a disappointed how long it took Bruji to publish my post. Now I understand that you wanted to take direct action. Amazing :D
Conor & Nora usually reply to all posts within 24-48 hours. I belong to many computer forums and believe me Bruji's reply time is phenomenal compare to most forums.
itst wrote:I am in the process of setting up my collection and need to decide on a few things, which will take some time. So, no hurry. I am looking forward to hearing from you. And if you need some other than your staff to test something, let me know.

Cheers
Sascha
We always welcome new beta testers. The beta's are 99% stable. You can download these here" http://www.bruji.com/beta/.

Also do try out Brujis' Pocketpedia This has stopped me from doubling up lots of times.

Again welcome and as always no question is too dumb though the help files should always be your first port of call. :D

Cheers