iTunes sync

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
neonomad
Contributor
Contributor

iTunes sync

Post by neonomad »

Hi all,

I'm new to CDPedia, and am a little unsure as to how synchronization with iTunes is expected to work.

1. I imported my iTunes Library and some playlists into CDPedia, then added a new CD to iTunes. I then experimented to see how I could trigger Pedia to recognize the addition. I'm not sure what the intended purpose of the "Help>Refresh iTunes Tracks" is, but it did not add the test CD to Pedia. I could not find any other way to update the iTunes content of CDPedia other than deleting the current iTunes listings from CDPedia and reimporting the iTunes Library, and each playlist.

I also tried deleting CDPedia prefs and repeating the import process, and completely unstalled CDPedia and all its related files, and downloaded and reinstalled it.

2. The Album count in CDPedia is higher than the count in iTunes. This has been consistent over several import/delete/reimport cycles. CDPedia finds no duplicates.

3. No album artwork was imported from iTunes. (Perhaps this is expected behavior, since I don't include artwork as part of the tracks, but use the iTunes externally stored versions.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: iTunes sync

Post by Conor »

Hi,

The iTunes import is not incremental. If you add new songs to iTunes you have to then import them in CDpedia. To do this create a smart playlist with items added after the last CDpedia import date, you can then import this playlist in CDpedia. The "Refresh iTunes Tracks" updates only the title and artist iTunes information so that it can show you the note icon in the tracks view. This icons let you know that a mach of artist-title was found in your iTunes library. In the table view a single note means that it's a partial album in iTunes a double note means all the tracks were found in iTunes.

The album count could means a few artist/album names are not matching and CDpedia creates a new album for those. The show duplicates would also not show these, as the album name would be different (maybe a space at the end of the name). CDpedia should import the artwork from iTunes, it queries iTunes via Applescript for the artwork; this should also work with the external stored artwork. Is your iTunes music collection on a different hard drive than the regular default?
neonomad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neonomad »

Got it! Thanks for your reply.
CDpedia should import the artwork from iTunes, it queries iTunes via Applescript for the artwork; this should also work with the external stored artwork. Is your iTunes music collection on a different hard drive than the regular default?
The iTunes folder, containing the iTunes Library file and Album Artwork folder, etc., are in the default location; but the iTunes Music folder, containing the actual audio files, is on an external drive.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The iTunes folder, containing the iTunes Library file and Album Artwork folder, etc., are in the default location; but the iTunes Music folder, containing the actual audio files, is on an external drive.
Thank you for the information, will give that setup a try.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Hi Conor,
I'm sorry to bump this thread up but...did something change on iTunes sync side?
Today I tried to sync CDpedia with PocketPedia and I saw some albums were missing from the iTunes library, so I tried to "Refresh iTunes Tracks" (now I know it will refresh just existing tracks), so I started searching the forum and found this thread.
Since I don't remember last time I synced CDpedia I can't define the smart playlist with new songs on iTunes, do I have to empty my collection (I mean delete a create again) and import the whole library back?

Thanks.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Was trying to find out if there was a solution I could propose for you. But I sadly do not have all the information I would need in CDpedia to trigger a partial import. If I were tracking the date of last import I could use that or the persistent IDs of the iTunes tracks for a 100% positive compare and then do a partial import from there. The persistent ID is on the to do list as mentioned in this thread.

If you have not added to much data to the iTunes import then a full import would be the solution, otherwise a partial import of your best guess at when was the last import and then I'll fill in the blanks when I finally get the persistent ID into the system.