isight problem

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
mikehr2

Re: isight problem

Post by mikehr2 »

so what makes the Delicious Library barcode isight scanner work so well? Can this technology/code be shared? I upgraded DL to 2.0 a while ago before discovering cdPedia and the isight scanner interface worked even better. Very solid even with varying lighting conditions. I can scan barcodes with my old classic(non macro lens) iphone in seconds via the app" Red Laser"............ hope it comes soon or I will be switching back to DL. I LOVE the iphone app that works with cd pedia though. So easy to sync! EAsy to use! It is awesome! Come on we can do this...

mk
mikehr2

Post by mikehr2 »

ahhh.. I just discovered that I needed to do an upgrade as Amazon had made some changes in the lookup code. BUT.....The isight scan function still does not look up for CD data??? should it function after the most recent upgrade? It WILL look up if I enter the bar code #. Any thoughts.....

mk
mikehr2

Post by mikehr2 »

sorry I did not mention in my last post that yesterday I upgraded CDPedia to 4.5.5 and that I do get a green barcode flash when scanning in the right lighting conditions, but no corresponding lookup/auto data entry.
mk
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Can this technology/code be shared?
You'd have to ask the developer of Delicious about that but I'm pretty sure he will say 'no' since there's no reason for him to share his code with a competitor...

We are working on a completely new version of the iSight barcode reader though, together with another developer who is bringing fresh solutions to the problem so hopefully that'll improve the scanning for all cameras. (With almost every computer update, Apple changes the iSights as well. Getting our code to work with all the different cameras is the most difficult part of the feature.)
DiscoBoy
Inductee
Inductee

Post by DiscoBoy »

Nora wrote: We are working on a completely new version of the iSight barcode reader though, together with another developer who is bringing fresh solutions to the problem so hopefully that'll improve the scanning for all cameras. (With almost every computer update, Apple changes the iSights as well. Getting our code to work with all the different cameras is the most difficult part of the feature.)
I know this is something most devs hate, but here it comes:
- When do you think this change/fix will be available for general use? Is it possible to try out a beta or something?

Right now I'm thinking about switching to DVDPedia from Booxter but the non-working iSight scanner is really a dealbreaker for me.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Marc wrote:I'm using an iMac Intel 24" (last white version) with leopard (10.5.7)

I've used the version of bookpedia that gives the version of isignt :

20/06/09 19:07:05 Bookpedia[2241] Device: UVC Camera VendorID_1452 ProductID_34049
20/06/09 19:07:05 Bookpedia[2241] Name: iSight intégrée

It's the one that doesn't work.
So what can I do ?
Marc - buy a cheap scanner from eBay.

If you do a forum search for 'scanner' you'll find info on the ones other pedia users have used with success.

Kind regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We don't have a release date yet, but will sure to post here when a beta is available. Sorry to disappoint with lack of specific information.
alorenzen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by alorenzen »

Any news for the new iSight release?

cheers
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

We released a special beta version of the Pedias tonight with a completely new and revamped iSight feature. On our testing computers it's working almost like magic - so fast that one of our testers said: "It feels like the camera is just looking at my bookshelf and reading the barcodes off the books!"

If you'd like to give the betas a try, here are the download links: DVDpedia Beta 19
Bookpedia Beta 19
CDpedia Beta 19
Gamepedia Beta 19

Please let us know how that new iSight search works out for you. (As always, and especially if you have one of the very new MacBook Pros, make sure you have a lot of light when scanning.)
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Nora wrote:We released a special beta version of the Pedias tonight with a completely new and revamped iSight feature. On our testing computers it's working almost like magic - so fast that one of our testers said: "It feels like the camera is just looking at my bookshelf and reading the barcodes off the books!"

If you'd like to give the betas a try, here are the download links: DVDpedia Beta 19
Bookpedia Beta 19
CDpedia Beta 19
Gamepedia Beta 19

Please let us know how that new iSight search works out for you. (As always, and especially if you have one of the very new MacBook Pros, make sure you have a lot of light when scanning.)
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :) :) :)

Keith
alorenzen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by alorenzen »

Nora wrote:We released a special beta version of the Pedias tonight with a completely new and revamped iSight feature. On our testing computers it's working almost like magic - so fast that one of our testers said: "It feels like the camera is just looking at my bookshelf and reading the barcodes off the books!"

Bookpedia Beta 19
CDpedia Beta 19
Gamepedia Beta 19

Hi Nora,

unfortunately it doesn't work for me, even it is worse. I own a new 21,5 iMac. It is definitely the new version which shows only a border. When it starts up the border is constantly green, what make me wonder, as fomerly it becomes green only in case of successful scan. None of my DVDs/Blurays worked and I tested several.
Any idea?

cheers

Andreas
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

This version will always show up green, not like the old one. The new iSights need lots of light to work properly, have you tried it in a well-lit environment?
alorenzen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by alorenzen »

I haven't tested under every condition, but at least it should work under realistic conditions. Even if set my iMac to max brightness to max to light up the barcode it doesn't make any difference.
It seem more to have to do with the focus of the iSight in the new iMac. The barcode doesn't look sharp. In the old version you have to place it a bit more away from the camera, so you didn't realise. As well all the lines make it difficult to realize how sharp it is. So my current assumption is my problems with the current version are caused by this as well.
Hopefully they find a solution. If it is really the different focus, it could be a bit difficult
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

This is indeed a problem with the 2009 iMac's iSight with the focus range being too far. We have had much success with every other model except this one and are looking at a solution.
alorenzen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by alorenzen »

Would be great, because when I decided for DVDPedia I was fully trusting in the announcement of the new software for iSight. I wasn't aware me having an addtional problem with actual iMac model.