Exporting to iPod

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
markredmond

Exporting to iPod

Post by markredmond »

I just purchased the Bundle and so far I am loving it. I have encountered one problem though.

When I try to export my Bookpedia Library to my iPod it says

"iPod: No iPod Present"

But it is present, and connected properly. It shows up in iTunes and I have tried to reconnect it several times, but Bookpedia doesn't seem to recognize it.

For the record, I am using a iPod Photo, 40 GB, if that matters. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks,
Mark
markredmond

Post by markredmond »

I figured it out.

First you have to select "Enable Disk Use" in the iPod preferences from iTunes while the iPod you want to use is connected. There is a step by step video for this at

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutor ... d_t11.html

You also have to remember to manually eject the iPod each time you disconnect as long as you have Disk Use Enabled.

Once I Enabled Disk Use, Bookpedia recognized my iPod immediately. I didn't even have to close and reopen the app.

Bookpedia Rocks!
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

exporting to iPod (in Bookpedia)

Post by teacher24_70 »

Can someone explain how this works with iPod? Is it just creating a backup of the data on the iPod? Or are you somehow able to see a list of your library on the iPod?

I just recently got the newest iPod and am intrigued with this feature--but I'm clueless as to what it actually does.

I tried doing a search of iPod in the Bookpedia help, but it couldn't find anything.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The export to iPod is not a backup for your data, it's just a way of taking your collections/library with you so that you can have a 'Bookpedia on-the-go'. When you go shopping, for example, you can remember the books you have on your wishlist...
For the export to iPod you need to use the .ipod templates. If those don't show up in your templates folder when you do the export, you will need to delete the folder so Bookpedia is forced to create a new one. (If you have modified any of the templates or written your own, make sure you make a copy of them before deleting the folder.) By default the templates folder is located in ~Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Templates.
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Procedures

Post by teacher24_70 »

Okay, I'm going to try to clarify this (even though I'm not on the computer that has Bookpedia on it.

1. Check to make sure that iPod templates are in my templates folder--if not, delete my current templates folder so that a new one is created.

2. Select the export to iPod option. Does this automatically choose the iPod templates or do I need to somehow direct the program to the correct templates?

3. Do I then have to copy the exported file into my iPod manually or does it do this automatically if my iPod is plugged into my computer?

Thanks for any clarification that you can give me. This option is new to me. And also understand that I'm asking these questions as best I can without having my regular computer in front of me and Bookpedia itself open. These things may become self-explanatory when I actually try it for the first time on my computer.

Nora wrote:The export to iPod is not a backup for your data, it's just a way of taking your collections/library with you so that you can have a 'Bookpedia on-the-go'. When you go shopping, for example, you can remember the books you have on your wishlist...
For the export to iPod you need to use the .ipod templates. If those don't show up in your templates folder when you do the export, you will need to delete the folder so Bookpedia is forced to create a new one. (If you have modified any of the templates or written your own, make sure you make a copy of them before deleting the folder.) By default the templates folder is located in ~Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Templates.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Bookpedia will automatically show you the .ipod templates when you choose the 'export to ipod' feature. All others will be ignored. It will also let you know if it can't find any .ipod templates so you could technically skip step 1 and let the program do the searching part for you.. :)
No, you don't have to do any manual copying to your iPod after the export. That's the beauty of it - your collection will be right there in your Notes folder in your iPod.
(As an aside: Images can't be exported, yet, and you have to be careful with size limitations imposed by the iPod. You may not have more then 1000 notes and each note may not be larger then 4K, so just be careful when including the summary in the export..) To get around the 1000 notes limit, try using one of the sorted .ipod templates. They will group entries together, for example all works by the same Author in one note and then when you click on the author you get the different entries for it.
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

info/descriptions of iPod templates

Post by teacher24_70 »

I was sure that I either PM'd or posted this question somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't find evidence of it anywhere.

Is there somewhere that describes or shows what the various iPod templates contain. I'm not sure which one I want to use, because I'm not sure how they're different.

One other general question. You talk about a 1000 note limit and I've heard that before in regards to iPods. When I exported my Bookpedia collection ("full iPod" template for lack of knowledge of other options), it seems to have exported all of them. When I click into notes, it shows the Library loading--the number is around 1300. Are these not really individual notes? Or are they combined in some way? I'm confused as to how it imported >1300 books, but stayed within the 1000 notes. Of course, I didn't check every book to make sure that it was there, but it seems to have exported all the wya to the Z's.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

I hadn't read this post before so if you did put it up before, it must have gotten lost somehow...
In any case, to answer your questions:

there is no description of the iPod templates anywhere but if you want to know what each one displays without actually having to do the export, you can just open them in a text editor. That'll show you the columns and since all the iPod templates look the same, that's a pretty easy way to see what's in a template. (The templates are located in the Bookpedia folder, by default in ~Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Templates.)

The templates that have 'Sorted' in their title, need their collection to be sorted by a column before they are exported, for example by Author. Then the author will be displayed as the note title and when you click on it you'll get all the works by that author.

And this leads to your question about iPod limitations. Yes, there is a 1000 notes limit on iPods. Even though yours is trying to display all 1300, it's cutting out entries, probably in the middle. This happens at random and especially with a large library like yours is hard to see until you suddenly miss an entry...

But a good way around this limit is to use the above mentioned sorted templates. Since they group entries together by whatever they're sorted by, they take up less space.