Import Database from DVD Cache

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
tyeardley
Contributor
Contributor

Import Database from DVD Cache

Post by tyeardley »

Hi, I've been using DVD Cache for years now, and pre my move to Mavericks I'm updating software to make sure it's compatible. Looks like DVD Cache hasn't been updated for a few years now so thouoght I'd give DVDpedia a try.

I'm using Trial and Error to get my exported database across, and the only field I'm having a problem with is the 'My Rating', if I choose 'my rating = 'my rating' I get no values. If I choose 'my rating = 'custom 1' I get the value as a number 1-5. I want the star ratings...

Is there a fix for this..?

Thanks in advance for any help!

T
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Import Database from DVD Cache

Post by Conor »

You should be able to import the DVD Cache XML file directly into DVDpedia. You don't have to use a comma or tab delimited file. Try dragging the file over DVDpedia or using the Import command and opening the file.

Otherwise please email me a sample of the file to import and repeat the issue as the my rating should be imported as stars if it can be read as a number from 1-10. In this case it should be imported as a rating from half a star to 2 and half stars.
tyeardley
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tyeardley »

Hi, thanks for reply. I've done as you suggested and managed to get the star ratings into DVDpedia but they aren't the correct values.
They are all half the original value; ie 5 star ratings in DVD Cache are now 2.5 star ratings in DVDpedia, 2 star ratings are now 1 star ratings... etc. It appears DVDpedia thinks that each star rating is only valued at half a star, is there a way around this bug?

Many Thanks, T
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The XML importer should have taken into account that the DVD Cache ratings are only 5, while the DVDpedia one is 10 based. You can fix the issue by selecting all the 2.5 star rating and then using the multiple edit command to update it to 5, then all the 2 to 4, 1.5 to 3, 1 to 2 and .5 to 1. You can do this by sorting by the my rating column or with smart collections.

It can also be done programmatically via Terminal program with the following commands:

Code: Select all

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/DVDpedia/Database.dvdpd
UPDATE zentry SET zmyrating = 10 WHERE zmyrating = 5;
UPDATE zentry SET zmyrating = 8 WHERE zmyrating = 4';
UPDATE zentry SET zmyrating = 6 WHERE zmyrating = 3';
UPDATE zentry SET zmyrating = 4 WHERE zmyrating = 2';
UPDATE zentry SET zmyrating = 2 WHERE zmyrating = 1';
.exit

Either solution has to be done backwards from high to low, as to avoid confusing one of the already set my rating for the updated version.
tyeardley
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tyeardley »

Hi, I've tried using the multiple edit option, but for some strange reason it won't apply 5 stars?!? When I click on the 5th star the 4th highlights and so on... Does that make sense?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for finding that bug. It was a bug I introduced in the latest version. Please download the DVDpedia beta and you will find it fixed. It will also be fixed in the upcoming official release.
tyeardley
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tyeardley »

Thanks for the update that was quickly fixed which is impressive!