linking to mkv in dvdpedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Ted L. Nancy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

linking to mkv in dvdpedia

Post by Ted L. Nancy »

I am using DVDpedia 5.1.10 from the Mac App Store.

In the interest of conserving storage, my brother has begun to help me compress some of my lesser-watched VIDEO_TS folders into .mkv packages. In DVDpedia, I tried linking to one of these .mkv packages (which by default always open in VLC on my computer). However, when I click on the link I created in DVDpedia, a dialogue box pops up that says:

"Confirmation
There are duplicates being imported. Would you like to add the duplicates or skip them?"

If I choose "Skip", the box closes and nothing happens. If I choose "Add", a new collection is created called "Imported Links" with what appears to be a duplicate entry of my movie with the link included, but without the artwork or other details.

Needless to say, DVDpedia doesn't seem to be able to handle .mkv packages. Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong? My brother says this is a very common format for compressing files and has the advantage of including the subtitle tracks in the package (which is important for me because both my son and I have a hearing disability). If DVDpedia is not currently able to launch .mkv packages in VLC, might it be abel to do so in the future?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: linking to mkv in dvdpedia

Post by Conor »

Hi Ted,

Thank you for all the details. Indeed you are using the program correctly and following all the right steps.

I do think that the file might not have VLC as the default player. Cross check the specific file in the Finder by selecting it and using the "File -> Get Info" command. Check the "Open with" section and be sure VLC is the default for MKV extension. Do click on the "change all" button after VLC is selected.

DVDpedia does declare itself as knowing about MKV files, in order to be able to import links with drag and drop. Could be that on installing DVDpedia, the Finder decided to make it the default player.

If that not the case, do let me know if VLC opens if you double click the file in the Finder or does DVDpedia also come up?
Ted L. Nancy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted L. Nancy »

Conor,

Double-clicking opened .mkv files in VLC, and those files had the VLC icon all along.

Nevertheless, I changed the default app to VLC in the Get Info pane as you suggested. Everything seems to be in order now.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. - Been a satisfied customer for 5+ years... maybe longer (been so long I can't remember). Great, useful software. Keep up the good work.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad it worked, computers do mysterious things at times.

Thank you for the support all these years. :)

Happy Holidays,
Conor