Pocket pedia black screen

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
kathryn
Inductee
Inductee

Pocket pedia black screen

Post by kathryn »

After updating to the new version the screen went black? What's up?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Pocket pedia black screen

Post by Conor »

We have not heard of a black screen bug, so not sure what is going on there with the update. Do try restarting Pocketpedia. Go to the home screen, double tap the home button and then swipe up on Pocketpedia to send it away. Tap the icon to relaunch it. If that does not work do try restarting the whole device. Otherwise you can try deleting the app and a new download from the App Store with a fresh sync.

If it happens again or other users experience it will ask for your console log that unfortunately Apple makes kind of hard to get to, so that we can get more information and get it fixed.
sfb1003

Post by sfb1003 »

I have this too, but only on my iPod 5. I upgraded my iPad 4 first and everything was (and still is) fine. Then I did my iPod and it goes to a black screen after about 1 second. I have tried everything I can think of - I've restarted app, restarted app and iPod, deleted and re-installed. Nothing works. Help!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

So I can find out more please send me all the messages from your console log after launching Pocketpedia.

You need to download iPhone Configuration Utility just to get a look at that log. Connect your iPad to a Mac and run the iPhone Configuration Utility application and click on the "Console" sidebar to view the log and copy paste any Pocketpedia messages out of there.
sfb1003

Post by sfb1003 »

This is what seems to happen when I start Pocketpedia:

Code: Select all

Mar 26 21:11:13 xxx backboardd[28] <Error>: HID: The 'Passive' connection 'Pocketpedia3' access to protected services is denied.
where xxx is the name of my iPod5.

Does this help?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you. I'll take a look and see what I can dig up about the error.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Seems to be related to a bug in iOS 7.1. Other developers are seeing similar issues, but nobody seems to have found the solution and Apple is not commenting on their developer forums. Do please send me messages in the console around that message that might make it clear what the culprit is, as it's likely an internal issue with Sandboxing. Also do check your ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/iPod Name for any Pocketpedia crash logs that you can send. Do sync the iPod with iTunes first to get logs synced over. I have asked StackOverflow in case any other developers have answers.
Wondercow
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Wondercow »

kathryn wrote:After updating to the new version the screen went black? What's up?
I came to report this exact problem. Pocketpedia 3.2 just presents a black screen upon startup. It doesn't crash or hang (apparently); it just doesn't do anything.
Conor wrote:So I can find out more please send me all the messages from your console log after launching Pocketpedia.
When I launch Pocketpedia 3.1.4 for the first time after a fresh install I get this:

Mar 27 23:40:10 Daves-iPod kernel[0] <Debug>: launchd[269] Container: /private/var/mobile/Applications/10BB6FD7-3873-464F-9644-8568C7859BDA (sandbox)
Mar 27 23:40:10 Daves-iPod backboardd[28] <Error>: HID: The 'Passive' connection 'Pocketpedia3' access to protected services is denied.
When I do the same for 3.2 I get:

Mar 27 23:36:46 Daves-iPod kernel[0] <Debug>: launchd[254] Container: /private/var/mobile/Applications/BC9EF3D1-D026-4915-9D8C-059100B5C83C (sandbox)
Mar 27 23:36:46 Daves-iPod backboardd[28] <Error>: HID: The 'Passive' connection 'Pocketpedia3' access to protected services is denied.
To me they look the same, but hopefully it means more to you :?

This is an iPod Touch 5, iOS 7.1
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Seems to be an issue with the iPod, not sure if only the fifth generation as well as iOS 7.1. Apple refuses to believe that it's an issue, but the message is so cryptic that I been asking for more information about it. I'll send you an invite to the beta to see if TestFlight is able to give us more information.