PocketPedia: Deprecated iOS6 support

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
DAK
Contributor
Contributor

PocketPedia: Deprecated iOS6 support

Post by DAK »

I have an older device that doesn't support iOS7, and it serves all of my needs, except for one... I can no longer use the latest version of PocketPedia.
When I tried to update my PocketPedia to the latest version, I discovered that it couldn't be done because iOS6 is no longer supported.

I am wondering... was there some specific reason for removing iOS6 compatibility? Like does PocketPedia now require some newer API that is iOS7 only? It doesn't seem like an app that would need much, if any, of the iOS7-specific features.

I am also worried that at some point a BookPedia update will break compatibility with the iOS6 version of PocketPedia. Can you give me an idea of the time frame for which BookPedia will continue to inter-operate with iOS6 PocketPedia?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: PocketPedia: Deprecated iOS6 support

Post by Conor »

Designing the new UI for iOS 7 we tried to keep support for iOS 6, but it proved to complex. There are so many visual changes to IOS 7 that many of the Apple own views work different and would cause conflicts and errors on iOS 7 if supporting iOS 6. Scrolling, toolbars and animation being the biggest issues to try to get to work on both consistently.

The iOS 6 version is still available from the App Store as it's still compatible with Bookpedia. We did take our time with the iOS 7 release specifically to make all the changes that we wanted to the final iOS 6 version in the hopes of keeping compatibly for several years. That said we don't know what changes Apple holds for the future and what WWDC will unveil for both iOS and Mac OS X. Should we need to break compatibility in a future Bookpedia version we would be sure to label it and warn users who still have old devices with iOS 6 only.
DAK
Contributor
Contributor

Re: PocketPedia: Deprecated iOS6 support

Post by DAK »

Yeah, I can see how iOS7's UI design overhaul could complicate things.
OK, thanks for the information.