LCC Information

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
bgelb

LCC Information

Post by bgelb »

I have been scanning my books using iSight into Bookpedia because I have a large book collection and this tends to be the fastest way to add them all and keep them organized. But eventually, I would like to add the LCC numbers and information to the titles so that I can sort and organize them by that classification. I can't seem to find a way, however, to use the scanned ISBNs to find the LCC and add it to my entries. Likewise if I manually enter the LCC into the entries and then update through the Library of Congress, it still can't find the LOC information, either by adding the Card Number or the full call number. Updating from LOC doesn't seem to work at all, even though searching the LCCN to add a book works. Am I missing something? Is there no quicker way to do this than manually entering in all this information?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: LCC Information

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the bug report. Bookpedia should be able to pick up all the information for the LOC based on the ISBN. Use the gear button on the lower right of the edit window and select LOC. For those ISBNs it's not working for please do send me a few of the IBSN numbers so that I can try the search here and replicate any issues. Do send me a few of the LCCs as well as it should be able to look up information with both numbers. And I can confirm that it does for the few books I just tried with both LCC and ISBN, so maybe there something specific about your ISBNs.
bgelb

Post by bgelb »

Conor,

I just tried adding via ISBN and then updating using LOC like you suggested. Just as a trial I randomly selected 10 books off my shelf to see how many would work using this method. Only three were able to download the LCCs. Now this may be my computer or something, so I sent you the following list of the books with their ISBNs and if it found the LCC, what that number was.

Thanks for the help

"Title","Author","LCC","ISBN"
"Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel","Susanna Clarke","","9781582346038"
"Incendiary: A Novel (Book Club Readers Edition)","Chris Cleave","","9781451618495"
"The Book of Lost Things: A Novel","John Connolly","","9780743298902"
"The Poisonwood Bible: A Novel","Barbara Kingsolver","","9780060786502"
"John Adams","David Mccullough","","9780743223133"
"The Bluest Eye","Toni Morrison","","9780452273054"
"The Bell Jar: A Novel","Sylvia Plath","","9780060930189"
"Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live","Tom Shales, James Andrew Miller","PN1992.77.S273 S52 2002","9780316781466"
"And then there were none","Agatha Christie","PR6005.H66 A84 2004","0312330871"
"Sula","Toni Morrison","PS3563.O8749 S8 2004","1400033438"
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for testing that out and giving me such a large sample to work with. I shall but the LOC through it's paces and let you know once I have something.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for all the info. Once you have an ISBN Bookpedia always uses this information to search a database that supports ISBN searches. These editions simply do not exist in the Library of Congress and hence why no LCC or any other type of information is imported.

The few books that do exist get their information imported.

For the LCC search its not possible yet, the more supported search is the LCCN search. The name is quite confusion as it's so similar, but for example the number for Sula by Toni Morrison would be "2004555327" and that can be searched directly from the find window.
bgelb

Post by bgelb »

Connor,

Thanks for all of your help. I'm sure this must seem like a nuisance compared to much larger concerns. Here is where I have a suggestion though. If I wanted to get all of the LOC information I could search by the LCCN like you said, but that often brings up the wrong edition. And if I try to enter the LCC later, it's not a supported search, as you said. And unfortunately, when I enter the LCCN into the LCC section of an entry, the search also bears no result. If there were some way to be able to update a book using the LCCN (which there may be and I might just be missing it) instead of having to add directly using it. Or if you know of a simpler workaround to find using the LCCN and then replace all fields applicable (ISBN, pages, cover, etc) via Doghouse or Google Books then it would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all of your help.