Moving BookPedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
beach1ady

Moving BookPedia

Post by beach1ady »

Hi - I have an older version of Bookpedia (4.6.8) that I moved successfully from an old macbook pro running OS 10.6.8 to my pretty new macbook pro retina running OS 10.9.4. It opens and appears to be functioning. However, I've tried everything I can think of to move my data and can't make it work. I've got well over a thousand books logged and really don't want to lose all that history.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that would help me to move the data from one machine to the next.

Thanks in advance.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Moving BookPedia

Post by Nora »

By default your Bookpedia data folder is located in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia. Create a copy of that folder and move it to your new computer into the exact same location. (Please note that there are two Application Support folders on your computer, one in the Home folder and one on your HD. You want the one in your Home folder.)

If you don't see the ~/Library/ folder in Home you can use the Finder's 'Go' menu, hold down the Option key and the folder will appear.

Once that's copied over, you can also make a copy of the Bookpedia plist file so you won't have to re-register the program and keep other preference settings in the program as well. You'll find it in your Home folder under ~/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.bookpedia.plist

Make sure Bookpedia isn't running on either computer while you do all this. Once you're done, restart the program on the new computer and you will see your database as before.
beach1ady

Post by beach1ady »

OMG Nora - you're my new favorite person!

Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU!

did I say Thank you?

I've been struggling with this for so long, I can't believe it took me until now to ask. Obviously your advice worked like a charm and now I'm a happy camper again. I can't thank you enough.

Happy Friday and one more thank you!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

You're welcome. :) Glad I could help.