Bookpedia not saving

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
fourthords

Bookpedia not saving

Post by fourthords »

I added four books to my Bookpedia library. I synced with Pockedpedia with no problem. I closed Bookpedia. When I reopened Bookpedia, the four books I added weren't there. This has happened twice. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

- fourthords
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia not saving

Post by Conor »

There should have been an error window when Bookpedia is unable to save, as it does automatically after each addition. If it happens again do please take a look at your console log and let me know if there any errors there from Bookpedia. You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log. Also any details that might be unusual, are the books being entered into the main library or an excluded collection? Are they still there after the sync with Pocketpedia?

Do try running "repair permission" on your hard drive from the Disk Utility application in /Applications/Utilities. This will make sure that all the permissions are correct for the data folder. This is just a precaution, as permissions that stopped the save from happening would have been reported as an error in Bookpedia, as mentioned above.
fourthords

Re: Bookpedia not saving

Post by fourthords »

There was no error when adding books.

I added a book, closed Bookpedia, reopened Bookpedia, and the book wasn't there. There're no errors from Bookpedia in the Console, but there are two WindowServer notes related to Bookpedia:
  1. 10/5/14 19:45:48.228 WindowServer[110]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Bookpedia" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
    10/5/14 19:45:49.420 WindowServer[110]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Bookpedia" after 2.19 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)
Turns out this fixed it: I moved out all the database files from the Bookpedia storage location (library/application support/bookpedia) to the trash. Then I opened Bookpedia to a blank, empty database. Then I closed Bookpedia and moved my database files back in, overwriting the empty ones. After that, it's saving just like I expect it to.

Testing one last time… yep, there they are.

Thanks for looking into this for me! I hope my solution might help others down the road.

- fourthords