Pedia programs in Yosemite

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
gdb4322

Pedia programs in Yosemite

Post by gdb4322 »

Hello Gentlemen,

I've been using the three pedias (BOOK, CD & DVD) for years with no major problems. But since I upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite, the three applications are quite unstable, and throw me out with no obvious reason. It mostly happens when I enter new records, especially with iSight (which never went very well).

Is that normal ?
Thanks for your help
Gerard
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Pedia programs in Yosemite

Post by Conor »

Hi Gerard,

Thank you for the crash information. Yosemite shipped with a number of bugs and we have these bugs open with Apple, in the meantime we are also trying to find work arounds for the bigger ones. Please do email us the crash logs for any crashes so that we can make sure that it's the same bugs that we are aware of. Also it might give us more information to find the work around.

In the meantime do try this small change that might make it better. Run the program called Terminal in your /Applications/Utilities folder and copy paste the lines below and press return. It will disable one of the barcode scanners, that is the only one we have seen a handful of users have issues with under Yosemite.

Code: Select all

defaults write com.bruji.dvdpedia "BarcodeScannerDisableNewiMac" -bool YES
defaults write com.bruji.cdpedia "BarcodeScannerDisableNewiMac" -bool YES
defaults write com.bruji.bookpedia "BarcodeScannerDisableNewiMac" -bool YES
Regards,
Conor
gdb4322

Post by gdb4322 »

Hi Conor,

Thank you very much for your answer. I shall follow your advice concerning the lines to add to Terminal, and I shall also send every crash report I find.

In my previous report, I forgot to ask you why so many CDs or DVDs are not found through iSight. Many code-bars are not correctly read and I very often get the result "Does not exist"... Is it also a problem with Amazon, like in other programs of the same type ?

Thanks again for your help
Gerard
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The barcode search depends greatly on the search site. We are trying to have lots of barcodes available for search on Doghouse, but it's not easy finding a good source of info for the UPCs and EANS. It's not the usual information that gets added to Wikipedia and other sources that we tend to import for information. Amazon on the other hand is quite a good source of UPCs as their primary goal is to sell the DVDs they always carry the UPC information.

I'll let you know when the new Yosemite beta is ready, so that you can test that barcode capture out.
gdb4322

Post by gdb4322 »

Thank you very much, Conor.

Best regards
Gérard