XML / Tellico data import help

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
paul0075

XML / Tellico data import help

Post by paul0075 »

Hi Guys,

I am trying to migrate my 1600 albums from Tellico to CDpedia.

I am currently testing CDpedia 5.4.2 in Yosemite to see if it meets what I want it to do, and so far, so good.

I have exported my data to an XML file from Tellico, a KDE Linux cataloguing app.

Each time I try to import this into CDpedia, I get the message File Format No Recognized.

Do I need to format my data in a specific way, or try a smaller number of titles?

Thanks in advance.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: XML / Tellico data import help

Post by Conor »

The XML format can be quite complex so the imports that CDpedia recognizes for XML are hard coded into the app. As each app can nest the data in all kinds of way and there is not standard format.

If you can export the data or turn the XML into a tab or comma delimited file then CDpedia will be able to read that. Do make the first line a header line with the names of the fields and CDpedia will try to automatically match them to fields, but will give you the option to adjust the mapping and remember it for subsequent imports.

There is an option to import the image as well if you have the image path, but otherwise you can also use the "Album -> Update from" command to add missing information after the import. Doghouse is quite good about making exact matches as it can handle all the information you do have on the album. For the other sites it's better to use the gear button on the bottom right of the edit window to add info and be able to preview and select the correct results.

Thanks for trying out CDpedia.
paul0075

Post by paul0075 »

Thanks Conor.

I ended up getting CSV to work except on the track listing and cover art. The latter isn't too big a problem but dealing with 1600 titles and messed up track lists is a lot of work.

Thanks the tip about Doghouse. I will set up an account and give it a try.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

For the tracks, they should go in a single field separated by semi colon. Same for any durations or extra info on the track level. Images should be a URL to the image:

Code: Select all

title    artist    tracks    durations    Image
Fields of Gold    Sting    Shape of My Heart;Roxanne;Don't Stand so Close to Me    2:34;4:10;2:10    /Users/me/Desktop/Images/sting-fields.jpg