Adding genre

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ministry460

Adding genre

Post by ministry460 »

Hi,

I'm in the line mode view and when I choose a few lines to edit and I add a new genre it always put at the end and when I drag it at the front of the older one and press ok the new genre is always at the end. Is there's a way to put at the beginning because I got several hundred of book genre editing and I don't want to edit one by one.

thank you

Regards
Joel
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Adding genre

Post by Conor »

The reason they get placed at the end is there could be more genres than are not currently displayed, genres that not all the entries share.

For example in this three books, "Comedy" would not show up as it's not shared by all three books.

Comedy, Fiction, History
Fiction, History
History, Fiction

Only History and Fiction would show up. Taking order into account in a multiple edit like that would lead to a number of edge cases that would lead to inconsistent behavior. A choice had to be made if to insert changes into the end or the start. The end was the more logical option.

But from your description it sounds like the genres are all the same across the entries? If that is the case you can rearrange the order by removing all the genres first. Check the box for genre in the multiple edit and use "Edit -> Cut" to leave it blank, press okay. Then edit again and paste the genres back in and arrange them in the order you want them before pressing okay. This way there is no merging of genres going and they will then be in the order that you entered. As the program does not need to check for the existence of previous genres in the entries.