Bookpedia recovery after computer crash

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
plvilmur

Bookpedia recovery after computer crash

Post by plvilmur »

While Bookpedia was open, my IMAC crashed. When I restarted the IMAC,Bookpedia would not open with the error message " The file could not be opened because it isn't in the correct format." I downloaded a new copy of Bookpedia in place of the old but got the same error message on attempting to open. How can I get Bookpedia working again?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia recovery after computer crash

Post by Conor »

Looks like the database file was left in an inconsistent state, the Mac is supposed to protect from that, but if it crashed anything is possible.

If you are using Time Machine you can restore the file to a few hours before the crash or a day before.

You will find the database in your data folder located in your home folder at ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Database.bookpd. You must use the Finder "Go" menu and hold down the option key and select the "Library" option. Once there navigate to Application Support/Bookpedia and select Database.bookpd. This is the file you want to restore to a previous version. Do so without Bookpedia running.

We never use them, but Bookpedia also makes copies on a periodical basis. It's called Backup1Month.bookpd. You can rename Database.bookpd to DatabaseOLD.bookpd and Backup1Month.bookpd to Database.bookpd.

Otherwise use the "Compress" command under the main "File" menu on Database.bookpd. This will create a .zip version that you can then attach to an email message an send my way and I can take a look at the actual file and see if it's recoverable.
plvilmur

Re: Bookpedia recovery after computer crash

Post by plvilmur »

Thank you for the information. Using time machine to restore an earlier copy of Database.bookpd worked.