Template for tracking outgoing links

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Template for tracking outgoing links

Post by iBoy »

Is it possible to make a web template that can put data into the head section of the web page? And is it possible to output files that are not named "page1.html" and so on, but something else?

The reason why I ask, is that I wish to make a separate html file for each entry in my dvd web catalog that contains my web tracking code and redirects to the requested web page. This way I could track my outgoing links. But with more than 600 entries, I cannot make all these files manually.

I want to make a template that puts the movie's title in each web page's title field, and puts the IMDb link in the redirect address, and names the file as [IMDb number].html.

I guess this is too much to hope for, but if it is possible, I am very thankful for suggestions.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

You can't rename the page names, i.e. the export will always name the pages page1.html, page2.html, etc.

But you can track the links by the title of the page instead of the file name of the page. Then you can put the imdb number into the title to keep track of the outclicks.

To put the title into the head of the page, add [Key:Title] to the header and then put the <!--BeginRepeat--> before it. Since you only have one entry per page it won't matter that the BeginRepeat is in the header and you'll get the title as the site header.

Nora
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

Thanks for the tip. I have managed to export separate pages with the movie title as page title and redirects to the right imdb page.

But, if all pages are called just page1.html, page2.html ... how can I make a template with links that corresponds with these files automatically?
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

Yes!!! I found the solution myself. The solution was the [Key:IncrementalNumber] tag. I just export the playlist twice. But the second time I export with the template with my redirecting page and my visitor tracker, and export the pages into a folder called imdb, without images, and separate pages for each item. On the main page I link each item to the imdb folder > page[Key:IncrementalNumber].html. Because the incremental numbers are equal in both exports, the links will work.

I've tried it, and it works perfectly! If anyone else are interested in tracking the outgoing links this way, I can explain more exactly, if necessary.

You can see one of my exported collections here: http://homepage.mac.com/evikne/movies/dvd/index.html
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I was going to mention the IncrementalNumber tag but you are a smart iBoy and did not need any guidance. :) That is a nice looking page by the way. :P
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

Thanks for your reply :)

And here is how you look in my free visitor counter. I can see all the pages you visited, both my internal pages, and your your clicks to IMDb:

Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Very nice. Google analytics can be lots of fun, especially the geographic locator with the world map.