Any way to connect a shopping cart to a bookpedia web page?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
chakradude
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Any way to connect a shopping cart to a bookpedia web page?

Post by chakradude »

I love this software! I have been cataloging in order to start an online bookstore. ( I have a brick and mortar store in south western Washington. )
I bought bookpedia after seeing that it can post to abebooks.com and other booksellers sights. I am wanting, however, to start with my own web store initially and go to one of the big boys a little later.

I am wondering how to connect bookpedia's beautiful pages to a shopping cart so I can offer paypal. If any one knows a resource I'd be greatful.

( I have looked at paypals info- you need the shopping cart in place.)

thanks in advance
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Bookpedia's export is very flexible. Once you have your website in place with a shopping cart you could create export templates based on that website so that Bookpedia can create the web pages for you. Or take your favorite export template and modify it to add a shopping cart. Also many shopping cart softwares have data imports, so it might be possible to import the information from a text, XML or SQL file that Bookpedia is capable of exporting. There are a lot of options, unfortunately I know very little about shopping carts so I do not know which one is better.
chakradude
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by chakradude »

Conor wrote:Bookpedia's export is very flexible. Once you have your website in place with a shopping cart you could create export templates based on that website so that Bookpedia can create the web pages for you. Or take your favorite export template and modify it to add a shopping cart. Also many shopping cart softwares have data imports, so it might be possible to import the information from a text, XML or SQL file that Bookpedia is capable of exporting. There are a lot of options, unfortunately I know very little about shopping carts so I do not know which one is better.
Thanks, Conor, for your quick response. I was hoping that someone else would have something to add. ;]I am looking at at some cart templates for golive and will undoubtedly have specific questions about exporting through a template as you suggest.

cheers!
chakradude
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Any way to connect a shopping cart to a bookpedia web page?

Post by chakradude »

Hi , I am belatedly realizing that this post is probably in the wrong folder, sorry. After more research I am thinking now that I want to create a merchant store site at alibris.com(using bookpedia to export the tab delimited data), then create a matching site with the same books using a custom template and link each individual book page to go to the right page on the Alibris site. This seems much more doable. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I am wondering; who has used Bookpedia for book selling and how they go about it? I would use amazon cause I do like it and the links in some of the templates go there but they seem to charge much more for merchants to get in the door. If anyone has experience using any of the book mercant sites I would be interested to hear how you have faired.