dvdpedia to apple tv

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
harpet
Inductee
Inductee

dvdpedia to apple tv

Post by harpet »

Hi I just purchased dvdpedia and am quite happy with the app,its easy to use and looks great and syncs well with pocketpedia.I was wondering if there is an option to link it with apple tv.It would just make sense browsing your dvd collection on the device on which your about to watch the movie.Any suggestions or a future enhancement on the way?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: dvdpedia to apple tv

Post by Conor »

We are hopping that someday Apple will provide an API for the Apple TV as they have done for iOS so that we can official interact with DVDpedia on the Apple TV. There is a Front Row plugin build by others that has been deprecated that also works with the Apple TV, but as all isntallation on the Apple TV requires hacking.
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

I am puzzled at how long it is taking Apple to open up iOS on the AppleTV for third party apps -- it is such an obvious win, and there is all sorts of wild stuff third party developers will end up doing, pushing the AppleTV out of the "hobby product" corner into the mainstream.

That said, I got my first AppleTV just a few weeks ago and am shocked, shocked at how good (quality wise) and useful/addictive product it is. With a Netflix subscription and AirPlay supporting apps such as HBO Go, I find myself more eager to use the AppleTV than either my Blu-ray player or my Home Theater Mac.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Perhaps this may all come out in the wash at this years WWDC on June 10-14 with that "One-More-Thing".

Here's hoping for a fully fledged Apple TV (iTV) which includes all the functionality of the present Apple TV 3 PLUS some more Apple magic and utilising the next iOS (iOS7) and fully integrating with the next OSX (10.9) with Apple releasing an updated SDK including iTV API functions.

OH well dreams are free :D

I am still using the 1st gen Apple TV due to my old non-HDMI Home Theatre system, a Sony STR-DB790. I haven't jail-breaked it yet but am thinking about it. But really am hanging out for a full Apple iTV set system (46"-50") as I am returning to New Zealand next year after 30 odd years in Australia and NZ uses a different channel bandwidth. Australia uses 7MHz and NZ uses 8MHz. Also Australia uses DVB-T/MPEG-2 for both SD and HD transmissions. In NZ they use MPEG-4/H.264 video in addition to the video/encoding platform of MHEG-5 for the programming guide. So the up-shot is I will need all new TV receiving equipment when I return to NZ next year which is no great lost as I can then get rid of my old Sony KVHR32M31 76cm CRT wide screen and the Sony PVR SVR-HD700 dual tuner receiver before I leave Australia.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Aside from occasional minor temporary hiccups (mostly WLAN related) I've been quite satisfied with my 3rd gen. Apple TV, especially after recently converting my HDD video library to H.264 instead of relying on Air Video Server conversion and AirPlay streaming for incompatible formats. I retired my old DVD player in favor of converting remaining MPEG-2 movies on DVD media to H.264 if I want to watch them. Someone gave me an older 37" 720p HDTV (thankfully with HDMI inputs) that works well enough (combined with a still decent 5.1 audio system), an upgrade from any CRT SDTV I'd used before moving last year.

At least in the relatively near future I have a tough time imagining any features in a full-blown "iTV" from Apple that would make it immediately more personally compelling than just a larger and superior picture quality non-Apple 1080p HDTV. My current A/V setup in my current situation doesn't leave me craving for more. :)
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

sjk wrote:At least in the relatively near future I have a tough time imagining any features in a full-blown "iTV" from Apple that would make it immediately more personally compelling than just a larger and superior picture quality non-Apple 1080p HDTV. My current A/V setup in my current situation doesn't leave me craving for more. :)
If Apple does release an iTV in New Zealand prior to my big move back home, then I would very much likely buy one, otherwise I will just buy a Sony or Panasonic flat screen. Then when that gives up the ghost and an iTV is available I would buy one then.

TV's per se are becoming more and more internet & LAN contacted and enabled but the trouble is in NZ and Australia we do not have direct access to Hulu, NetFlix, Pandora etc and have to use proxies (Fox content is controlled by the big pay-for-view providers) - I use the Hola Unblocker Firefox Extension and watch stuff on my iMac. So Apple is going to have to do something very special and magical to make Kiwi's & Aussie's buy what will be an above averaged priced flat screen TV. I can pick up a new Sony 46" LCD for A$447.00 (sale).
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

FineWine wrote:If Apple does release an iTV in New Zealand prior to my big move back home, then I would very much likely buy one
Likely that would be a first generation model. I'd want to hold off for a future generation of that type of product, but there's no guarantee it'll be preferable …
otherwise I will just buy a Sony or Panasonic flat screen.
In the past I've usually preferred Panasonic over Sony products. Unfortunately too much of its and other brand quality/reliability has obviously slipped, e.g. a 12-year-old electric shaver (made in Japan) is still at least as effective as one I regret having bought (made in China) about a year ago. And I'd still rather have my old Panasonic microwave and Black & Decker toaster over than what I've been using since leaving those behind when moving.
Then when that gives up the ghost and an iTV is available I would buy one then.
I'd hope to get at least ten years usage out of most A/V components and would rather voluntarily replace/retire electronic devices, appliances, etc. before they give up the ghost. :)
TV's per se are becoming more and more internet & LAN contacted and enabled
With nothing to get excited about interfaces, from what (little) I've seen.
but the trouble is in NZ and Australia we do not have direct access to Hulu, NetFlix, Pandora etc and have to use proxies
It's easy to take for granted having relatively easy access to certain services in the US that are inferior or unavailable in other countries. Yet some of those other countries may have stronger appeal for more desirable reasons, which this isn't the place to discuss.
So Apple is going to have to do something very special and magical to make Kiwi's & Aussie's buy what will be an above averaged priced flat screen TV.
I can see how that could generally matter more there than here.
I can pick up a new Sony 46" LCD for A$447.00 (sale).
I'll be tempted when decent ~60" models reach that price. :)
samu-mac
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by samu-mac »

Hello, any news on this topic? is possible to use DVDpedia through apple tv?