List order in Pocketpedia

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
jyh_

List order in Pocketpedia

Post by jyh_ »

Greetings,

I can't figure out why some of the iTunes playlists I import in CDpedia, and then sync with my iPhone get listed there by title order and some by artist name order. All my lists in iTunes and CDpedia are ordered by album artist (iTunes) and Artist in CDpedia, and I would like them to be listed this way in Pocketpedia too. How is this achieved?

While I am on the topic of importing playlists from iTunes... After I have imported all my iTunes playlists in CDpedia, if I make changes to a Playlist in iTunes, do I have to delete and reimport in CDpedia, or is there a way to update?

I have ripped my entire CD collection and basically I only use CDpedia as a way to get and display my lists of CDs on my iPhone, so getting proper syncing with iTunes is essential for me.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: List order in Pocketpedia

Post by Conor »

Pocketpedia should bring in the same sorting that you are using in CDpedia. Do try changing columns and then clicking back on Artist to sort by artist the collection that is not sorted by artist in Pocketpedia. If that does not fix the issue, it then is a subtle bug. I would need your database file to try to replicate it. You will find the database in your data folder located in your home folder at ~/Library/Application Support/CDpedia/Database.cdpd. Use the Finder "Go" menu and hold down the option key and select the "Library" option. Once there navigate to Application Support/CDpedia and select Database.cdpd and use the "Compress" command under the main "File" menu. This will create a .zip version that you can then attach to an email message.

There is no update from iTunes, it's something I do want to include, but quite complex to do correctly as CDpedia is album based and iTunes track based it makes the mapping complex and hard to match small changes. For example you fix a typo on an artist track in iTunes, CDpedia will then not be sure if it's an update or a new track. In a new major version I hope to import even more info (unique iTunes IDs) that will let me implement that feature.
jyh_

Re: List order in Pocketpedia

Post by jyh_ »

Thank you Conor,

OK, I will experiment with the column ordering changes on a test playlist. Actually, this is probably how the 2 playlists I was most upset about not getting in the right order on the iPhone need up the way that I wanted. I kept messing wit the list order CDpedia and probably at some point something triggered and that came out right.

I assumed that iTunes sync was not easy. For my personal use, something that would be nearly as good as a a true iTunes sync would be a better dialog box that would let me select more than one playlist to import, and ideally save that configuration. I use playlists to organize my music by categories (I basically don't use the "genre" field at all) and having to import one by one several dozens of playlists is a real pain. On top of that, CDpedia flattens the playlist folders and does not even list the playlists in the same order as they appear in iTunes. In terms of increasing value to me I would like to see
  • 1. CDpedia respects playlist groups and order in the import dialog
    2. CDpedia lets me import multiple playlists at a time
    3. CDpedia preserves playlist groups while importing
    4. CDpedia offers a more advanced import dialog window and lets me save settings
    5. CDpedia syncs with iTunes
Really, for me by the time point 3 has been reached it's all fine. The import time is not a big deal for me, it's the selection and re-arranging in CDpedia that bother me.

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

jyh.