Export to HTML....with search function

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Export to HTML....with search function

Post by Rigido »

Hi,
I started once again to mess with Pedias, defined two virtual web servers on my NAS and exported DVD e CD (iTunes) libraries to HTML...I love MetalBox.
Today I was showing the sites to a friend of mine and he said "Great but...how can I search for something?".
I'm an "enthusiast" programmer (I think Conor still remembers my noob questions about Xcode, but finally I did my three DVDpedia plugins) with few, basic HTML and Java knowledge but I think it is almost impossible to make Pedias export to a full searchable site.
Would someone give me hints, tips or suggest me a guide on what I need (I have a Qnap 253A, I think I have everything I need) and how to create a "structure" for a full searchable site?

Thanks.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Export to HTML....with search function

Post by Conor »

Hi Rigido,

Hope all is well. No need to reinvent the wheel, two other users have created a searchable export that you could take as a starting point.

Fancy Index included with the program in the HTML export section has some Javascript classes included that allow the data in the columns to be searched. Here is a random users modified version for testing or do an export of your data to Fancy Index and test with your own data. You can modify the template or fit the search engine into yours. Here is the development thread and feedback in the forum as well as improvements in search performance for larger databases. All those might give insight on how to modify the HTML to suit your needs or to integrate the Javascript search into what you already have. You can find the original author here on the forum to private message or on her website if you have any specific questions.

Gamepedia Viewer, goes a step further and is reading directly from the database file that Gamepedia uses. He even stores it with direct access to Dropbox, meaning the page is always up to date, as both Gamepedia and the HTML code are reading and writing to the same file. Here is all the code in GitHub to fork and make compatible for DVDpedia and CDpedia. I've been meaning to help out with making it multimedia compatible, but have not had the time. More on the development of it in the forum.

Hope those are helpful starting points or code to integrate.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Thank you Conor, everything's ok, Claudia will be 5 soon...time goes by so fast!

I have to say that I didn't try other export template but Fancy Index is a great starting point.
I will try to do a little beauty work to make it match my "Cast" detail page and I'll try to understand how the search procedure works.

Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Time does fly with kids.