Is there a list of existing genres somewhere?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
abkaye
Inductee
Inductee

Is there a list of existing genres somewhere?

Post by abkaye »

That would save a bit of time...
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Is there a list of existing genres somewhere?

Post by Conor »

Preferences -> Autofill (tab) -> Genre (popup), will list all the genres ever entered. The "rebuild" button will recreate the list from what is in the database, after removing some genres.
LibertyTrooper
Captain
Captain

Post by LibertyTrooper »

It would be nice if we had the option to keep existing genre's that are already in the list rather than having them removed when its rebuilt.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Welcome to the forum. The rebuild button, is sort of a clean button that shows you only what is in your database; if you have something in the list but nothing in the database is marked with that genre then it gets removed. It quite useful to find unusual genres that you want to clean up. But thank you for the suggestion about keeping unused ones around, although unlikely to make it through as it would defeat much of the gain achieved by the rebuild.
LibertyTrooper
Captain
Captain

Post by LibertyTrooper »

So, if you only have two genre's entered they will show up in the pick list without a rebuild?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Yes. The list displays everything ever entered that the program has learned. The rebuild will remove any genres that no longer exist. For example you add a book with "Murder Mystery Fiction", but then decide it's better cataloged as "Crime". The "Murder Mystery Fiction" will still appear in the list, but would not appear after a rebuild as no book carries that genre anymore.
LibertyTrooper
Captain
Captain

Post by LibertyTrooper »

Yes, I did rebuild myself out of all genres except for "manga". Then, I had a mental block of what would be appropriate defaults after staring at that forlorn single entry. I since decided that manga is better off as a tag than a genre. I vote for an additive restore defaults anywhere 'rebuild <x>' exists within a far flung future release.