CD ALbum with Multiple CDs

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
nicoscos
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

CD ALbum with Multiple CDs

Post by nicoscos »

Hi all,
do you know how it is possible to register a CD album with multiple titles?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You can do searches on any title and you can add as many CDs as you like. With more concrete examples of what you are trying to achieve I can help you out more.
nicoscos
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Multiple Cds

Post by nicoscos »

Hi Conor,
for example the "Buddha Bar" album consists of 2 CDs. I was looking to find out whether it would be possible to register the CDs (and the corresponding tracks) under the same album name (for example, buddha bar Vol I).
Siriosys
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Siriosys »

This is absolutely what I've been trying to work out. I think the OP is asking how does CDPedia handle multiple discs in an album. I have many albums containing multiple discs (usually 2 or 3), but I don't know how to catalog them. How does CDPedia handle multiple CD sets?

Unfortunately, what I end up with is 3 separate entries, which then means the album counts are out etc etc. I guess the logical structure to handle them here would be:

Album A
-Disc 1
--Track details
--Track details etc etc
-Disc 2
--Track details
--Track details etc etc

Album B
-Disc 1
--Track details
--Track details etc etc
-Disc 2
--Track details
--Track details etc etc

Is this what you're meaning??? I guess problems might arise in the Coverflow view where currently I have 3 separate pictures come up for an album with 3 discs, however I don't know how it would work if they were somehow nested inside an 'Album' as such......oh God, I think I've confused myself :lol:
nicoscos
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Multiple Cds

Post by nicoscos »

Yes this is exactly what I meant. A compilation album consists of several CDs in the package. Maybe there is some way to be able to distinguish the CDs belonging to the same album
So far, there are 2 ways around:
(1) Either we create 2 separate entries for the same album title and catalogue the different CDs, or
(2) Just use the same album name and add all the tracks sequentially.

Both ways have disadvantages:

In the first manner if someone has a 4 CD album he/she should register 4 times the same album which would give a wrong count number with respect to "albums per artist" or album titles in general.

If using the second way, there is no way to figure our which tracks belong to which CDs, which gives a bad perception when there is a large database and someone is looking for a single track.

It would be nice if in the "edit window" there was a separate entry to register tracks on per multiple CD album title.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

It would be nice if there was a decent option for this situation.

What one can do at present is the following.

Make two separate entries, one for each CD.

Link them together.

In addition, use a custom field to mark as part of a set.
Siriosys
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Siriosys »

Both methods are problematic to my way of thinking as you've said.

There needs to be a structural change so that each 'entity' in the database can basically represent one of the following sorts of entries:

A single CD with multiple tracks
A multi-pack comprised of more than 1 CD with many tracks

This way the system could handle Box sets quite well too, which often contain completely different albums from a given artist or compilation genre, but are purchased (usually at a premium) as an entity in their own right and are also cateloged differently by the various online databases.

Interestingly, most of the other CD collection packages I have used in the past have handled this issue in the manner I described above.

In 2 of the programs, there is a field which designates if a disc is a 'member' of a box set, multiple disc album, or a standard CD. When the subsequent discs are added they can be put against the original entry, thus having the affect of adding the discs to the set which results in only one entity in the DB relating to a physical CD, made up of multiple discs.

Conor, would you be able to look at an enhancement for this type of thing or is there a better way that this can be handled with existing functionality?

Regards

Rob
nicoscos
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Multiple CDs

Post by nicoscos »

Yes I completely agree with you.

Actually, I don't understand the meaning of "#of disk" entry when add a new CD. The native structure of CDpedia does not optimally manage multiple Cds and therefore the "#of disk" entry has no meaning!

I hope that the developer will find a solution to this problem.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The options that have been described are the possibilities at the moment. I agree that it would be nice to be able to specify from what track on a new disc starts so that all the tracks for a multiple disc set can be kept together under one album and have an indication of what track is on which disc without having to perform math. There is a composer column on the track level that one could use to label the disc number, but that is a work around; it's on our feature request list to add support to distinguish tracks per disc.
ratmice
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CD ALbum with Multiple CDs

Post by ratmice »

Okay,

Anything new on the multiple disc front? Just got finished adding a ton of disks to CDpedia and all the entries from scanning are messed up (track # labelled incorrectly) if the album contains multiple discs. Seems like this is basic functionality that is missing, or maybe I'm missing something?

What happens is when viewing tracks from from multiple disk sets they are listed by number:

1 d1t1
1 d2t1
2 d1t2
2 d2t2

then if you enter into a text field, they are automatically renumbered as follows:

1 d1t1
2 d2t1
3 d1t2
4 d2t2

Not terribly helpful ;-). hate to complain on my first post.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the details. Download CDpedia again and new additions should be correct. I also updated the drag and drop re-arrangement to work with multi-disc tracks.
nicoscos
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by nicoscos »

Gentleman, after a year of my original message there has been no significant improvement to this aspect. It is still not possible to separate and identify the different CDs within a CD package. As such there is now way to relate specific songs per each single CD that is part of a multiple CD package.
I hope that we will see some improvement any time soon.
DRL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DRL »

I've got a lot of sets like that. It's no problem. I simply press "Edit", go to Tracks and add CD1 etc in the appropriate places. All the details are then displayed when the Info button is pressed. Or have I missed the point that nicoscos is making?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Adding CD1 is a solution. What Nicoscos is talking about is that when the information comes from the internet labeled by disc as of a few months ago there is a difference in the left hand column in counting, starts over at 1 for the next disc. With the current version of the program it's not possible to make this distinction manually at a certain track if it's not already there.
ratmice
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ratmice »

Conor wrote:Thank you for the details. Download CDpedia again and new additions should be correct. I also updated the drag and drop re-arrangement to work with multi-disc tracks.
Thanks. Seems to work now. I would really like to have proper multiple disc handling. At the moment you can't enter multiples manually. even something as (seemingly) simple as 1.01, 1.02 ... 2.01 etc... or 101, 102 ... 201, 202 or something. Of course I have no idea how difficult this would be in coding land.