TV – Apparently It's All the Rage

Announcements, upcoming features,... (READ ME!)
Conor
Top Dog

Re: TV – Apparently It's All the Rage

Post by Conor »

You can download it from our [url=dvdpedia://www.bruji.com/download?extras/tvrage.zip]server here[/url]. However it's not fully working (no image and a blank genre), check RowdyPixel for a newer version once the server comes back.
DrPaul
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DrPaul »

Thanks for the quick response and the plug-in. Unfortunately, I cannot get the plug-in to do anything.

Do the custom tags form the query that is used to search TV Rage? Or is the title for the entry parsed following the format string?

I have tried both and I cannot get either way to work.

i.e. I have an entry with:
Custom 1=Alias
Custom 2=01
Custom 3=01
with the TV Rage Title Format set to: %S %Nx%E and leading zeroes set to true and the title of the entry set to "Alias 01x01".
When I try to get Advanced Info -> TV Rage I do not get any updated fields. I removed the summary field for the entry just to make sure.

I tried it with an entry that is excluded from the collection and one in the main library in case that was the issue.

When I search manually on the TV Rage web site the same string retrieves the correct episode.

Am I using the plug-in correctly?

Regards

Paul.
DanW

Post by DanW »

I'm aware that the error exists. It's a problem with my web host, and I'm trying to get it sorted now. To get it installed, click on this link: dvdpedia://www.bruji.com/download?extras/tvrage.zip

The custom tags are not used in order to gather the title. All the information is gathered, then the format string you enter into the settings is parsed.

As far as the info gathering is concerned, I'll have to look into it. If I'm remembering correctly, the plugin won't update anything unless a certain tag is empty. I'm looking at the code now to try and get back up to speed on exactly how it works. I'll post here when I re-learn what's going on. :)

For now, to force the plugin to download updated info, you can delete the entry and insert a new one by doing a seach on TVRage for 'Alias 1x01' (or whatever episode needs updating).

EDIT: The website problem is fixed, it's now back up and running.

EDIT2: I've had a bit of time to look at it now, and it appears that TVRage has changed some stuff on their website which ruins the way the plugin parsed the HTML. I'll have to go back into the code and rework how it parses some of the information. Thanks for the heads up.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Dan,

Glad your web server is back up and running. You are correct in that DVDpedia will not update fields that are already filled, they need to be cleared first. But also Dan does not have access to the custom field information in the plug-in when performing the search, so he can't reconstruct the query. This is something I have been meaning to update but it would break all existing plug-ins, so the more I prolong making the change the better. For now adding a new entry or placing the season and episode information into the title is the way to gather more info. Dan if you need any help with the coding drop me an email.
DanW

Post by DanW »

Ah, I knew there was something I had forgotten since writing the plugin.

Thanks for the offer of help. I don't think it should be much harder than creating the original plugin, I just have less time available since it's the middle of the semester instead of the middle of summer. :)
witnix

Post by witnix »

Hey guys,

I got a problem with my TV Rage plugin.
It is working correct when I´m adding single episodes (with the search box), but not when I try the mass import:
-import TAB-delimitered Text, with the episode tag for the IMDb field (e.g. Firefly 01x02)
-mark all imported episodes
-right click, get advanced options - TV Rage
-window with updating x entries appears and disappears in about 1 second
-nothing changed in DVDPedia
-about half a year ago I imported some episoded of CSI in this way, but now they even don´t work.

Edit: in addition, the plugin don´t get the summary of the episode.

Hope anybody can help me with this problem.
DanW

Post by DanW »

Hello,

This is the same problem everyone else has been having. TVRage changed their website layout, which broke the way the plugin gathers information for the episodes. Until I get a chance to rewrite the parser for the info, the plugin will not work.

I've been considering rewriting it to use the [url=http://thetvdb.com/]TvDB website[/url] for information instead. Since that has an actual API I could use, it shouldn't be as susceptible to breaking as the TVRage version.
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by teacher24_70 »

[quote="DanW"]Hello,

This is the same problem everyone else has been having. TVRage changed their website layout, which broke the way the plugin gathers information for the episodes. Until I get a chance to rewrite the parser for the info, the plugin will not work.

I've been considering rewriting it to use the [url=http://thetvdb.com/]TvDB website[/url] for information instead. Since that has an actual API I could use, it shouldn't be as susceptible to breaking as the TVRage version.[/quote]

Wow, I didn't even know that site existed. Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to get into DVDpedia in awhile to update any episode information, but maybe when I do, this new plugin will be ready.
doug
Inductee
Inductee

Post by doug »

I'm really liking this plugin. It is getting us closer to the functionality that I think FrontRow needs to have. I'm not sure if some of what I am looking for needs to be added to DVDpedia or to the TVRage plugin. Two areas I think need some enhancement.

1. Areas like Actor, or Director can generate a lot of detail. I have roughly 500 movies and TV shows, so the number of individual actors you have to scroll through to find "insert name of your favorite actor here" is really quite staggering. I think this would be improved by having submenus for the letters of the alphabet.

2. TV Shows/Series : Similar to issue 1. List the shows by title, then season, then episode:
Cadefael >
Season 1>
One Corpse Too Many
The Sanctuary Sparrow
etc.
etc.
It may help to differentiate TV Shows and series from Movies. I know iTunes has this in its db, but I do not recall seeing this in DVDpedia's db.

Thanks again.
witnix

Post by witnix »

Anything new about the bugfix or a new plugin for getting episode informations?
Januzzz
Inductee
Inductee

Post by Januzzz »

Hi,

I´m also very interested in adding single TV episodes to DVDPedia! Is there any progress on that? I think the idea to use thetvdb.com is very good. Maybe you could ask the XBMC/Plex-guys for their scraping code?!

Thanks and all the best,

J.