Editing Directly in Doghouse Maintenance

A place for Doghouse related posts.
FineWine
Site Admin

Editing Directly in Doghouse Maintenance

Post by FineWine »

In Doghouse Maintenance when editing a field that can have multiple entry bubbles such as Genre, how do you separate each descriptive bubble whilst editing that field? e.g. Drama then Romance then Foreign. I tried using a comma, enter key. Also how do you enter a new descriptive?

Would it not be easier to just use a comma so that when you are typing e.g. Drama, Romance, Foreign, each time you enter a comma it forms a new descriptive bubble for that entry, instead of selecting from a drop down list.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Editing Directly in Doghouse Maintenance

Post by Alex »

To enter various words, just select one from the dropdown list (or hit enter when one word is selected), then start typing and choose another. Some fields have a maximum of words you can select and will not display any more matches after the maximum has been reached.

Allowing comma-separated entries is far more complcated than selecting from a list for a number of reasons:

1. We want to try to keep clean data so we'd rather you choose something from the existing list rather than entering a new value.
2. This being a web form, we are bound by the rules of processing online forms, which means we'd have to parse the comma-separated entries upon submission, then match them to existing values, making the process slower and more error-prone.

Finally, unwieldy lists, like genre, should be cleaned as much as possible (we are working on some tools for this and the interface is there for DVDpedia and Bookpedia to edit and delete genres) to make it easier for people to select what they want. The problem with genre is that people put a lot of garbage in that field in the pedias so it's an uphill battle.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

OK - then we have a problem. The other day I noticed in MY OWN DVDpedia database that I had not Genre labelled some of my movies Gay when they should have been.

After correcting this error in my own database I resubmitted them to Doghouse. Yet these resubmitted entries to Doghouse do not have the correct Genre of Gay, Now I have checked on several Doghouse entries for Gay Genre movies that I have submitted right from the beginning of Doghouse and they do not have the Genre Gay entry. So want is happening to the Gay Genre entry for these movies? Are moderators mistakenly correcting these entries.

When I go to correct these entries in Doghouse Maintenance the Genre entry Gay is not there when I have clearly submitted the word Gay as a single Genre entry. Gay romance, Gay comedy all do though.

Cheers
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Contributing from dvdpedia will never overwrite non-empty values. For that you need to use the Mirror command from the Doghouse menu. Please be sure to have as accurate as possible data because the mirror command will throw data away. Basically it mirrors the entry to what you have in the pedia and discards any information that is not in your pedia entry.

As for the genre gay, I can see two entries under the dvdpedia genre edit pages http://rails.bruji.com/dvd_genres/?term ... mit=Search "gay" and "Gay". The new version of Doghouse maintenance will have better tools for duplicate avoidance, there shouldn't be two genres just differing by capitalization. Between the two there are 60 movies that have that genre applied. If you click the edit button for the genre it will list those movies.

If you submitted a movie that wasn't previously there with the genre "gay" and it is not showing up then my guess is that, yes, someone must have changed it. There is not reason why it wouldn't stick, we certainly don't filter it or anything similar. Please feel free to fix those. You can do this either directly from the Doghouse admin or in a Mirror from dvdpedia.

I see where the problem arises that you don't find the word "gay" as a genre: since genre is such a huge and unwieldy list, I put in a 4 letter minimum for the list to start matching in order to make it easier to work with. This of course means that genres with 3 letters will not be matched in the list and you cannot use them, I didn't think we had any genres with 3 letters in them, sorry. I'll look into fixing this for future versions. They will work if you mirror (or submit a new one) from dvdpedia though.

Lastly, in these bubbles in the maintenance pages, if the value is not on the list you can also add, just type something in and if it doesn't match, it will show up as "new: new_genre".

And thanks for all your work as a moderator. The only way to get good data is with hard work like yours.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Alex wrote:Contributing from dvdpedia will never overwrite non-empty values. For that you need to use the Mirror command from the Doghouse menu. Please be sure to have as accurate as possible data because the mirror command will throw data away. Basically it mirrors the entry to what you have in the pedia and discards any information that is not in your pedia entry.
That is what I will do then use the Mirror command as this will be easier than going through my list manually in Doghouse Maintenance.
Alex wrote:As for the genre gay, I can see two entries under the dvdpedia genre edit pages http://rails.bruji.com/dvd_genres/?term ... mit=Search "gay" and "Gay". The new version of Doghouse maintenance will have better tools for duplicate avoidance, there shouldn't be two genres just differing by capitalization. Between the two there are 60 movies that have that genre applied. If you click the edit button for the genre it will list those movies.
Yes I did do a Gay Genre listing and found that list but I still wondered therefore why "gay" or "Gay" did not appear when I tried to edit my list in Doghouse Maintenance. (refer to point 4)
Alex wrote:If you submitted a movie that wasn't previously there with the genre "gay" and it is not showing up then my guess is that, yes, someone must have changed it. There is not reason why it wouldn't stick, we certainly don't filter it or anything similar. Please feel free to fix those. You can do this either directly from the Doghouse admin or in a Mirror from dvdpedia.
I suppose Genre being very subjective then a Moderator might say that a Gay themed movie e.g. 1993 "Philadelphia" movie, is different from a movie with Gay overtones such as 1972 "Cabaret" movie or just having a Gay character e.g. 1970's American TV show "Soap" Billy Crystal's character.
Alex wrote:I see where the problem arises that you don't find the work "gay" as a genre: since genre is such a huge and unwieldy list, I put in a 4 letter minimum for the list to start matching in order to make it easier to work with. This of course means that genres with 3 letters will not be matched in the list and you cannot use them, I didn't think we had any genres with 3 letters in them, sorry. I'll look into fixing this for future versions. They will work if you mirror (or submit a new one) from dvdpedia though.
That explains that frustration last night - it drove me nuts.
Alex wrote:Lastly, in these bubbles in the maintenance pages, if the value is not on the list you can also add, just type something in and if it doesn't match, it will show up as "new: new_genre".
Thanks for the heads up, I did not know realise that trick. Of course so long (at the moment anyway) it is four or more characters in length.
Alex wrote:And thanks for all your work as a moderator. The only way to get good data is with hard work like yours.
You are welcome. "The more I want to get something done, the less I call it work" (Richard Bach Illusions : The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (1977) so that "One man's toil is another man's relaxation" (myself 2013)

Cheers
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Alex wrote:I see where the problem arises that you don't find the work "gay" as a genre: since genre is such a huge and unwieldy list, I put in a 4 letter minimum for the list to start matching in order to make it easier to work with. This of course means that genres with 3 letters will not be matched in the list and you cannot use them, I didn't think we had any genres with 3 letters in them, sorry. I'll look into fixing this for future versions. They will work if you mirror (or submit a new one) from dvdpedia though.
OK - still having problems editing the Genre 'gay' or 'Gay' or any variations thereof, in online Doghouse Maintenance. Though the Mirror function does work and if I do a gay genre search that works. It is just the editing of the DogHouse Maintenance entry of Genre that still does not bring up gay as a genre category.

e.g. dogTag 13385 - Beginners

I was able to add 'Comedy' and 'Romance' and when I did, it said it was searching then brought up the list to choose from, but for the word gay and ANY variations thereof, it did nothing.
Alex wrote:Lastly, in these bubbles in the maintenance pages, if the value is not on the list you can also add, just type something in and if it doesn't match, it will show up as "new: new_genre".
Have yet to see this feature.

Or are we still working on this?
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

I implemented this feature in the new Admin pages. We're in the process of moving everything over to another server, with another language, different technologies, etc. It's taken longer than anticipated and I apologize for this but we're very close to making the switch, I promise.

Since the new admin had to be rewritten almost from scratch, it made more sense to put all our efforts into the new one and not so much into patching the old one.

This new Admin page will make it easier for us to implement changes and fixes.

Having said that, I just pushed this small fix to genres on the current admin pages since you've been so patient :D
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Alex wrote:Having said that, I just pushed this small fix to genres on the current admin pages since you've been so patient :D
Thank you Alex it works great.

Looking forward to the new site.

Cheers