Library not syncing correctly (wrong items in my collection)

A place for Doghouse related posts.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Library not syncing correctly (wrong items in my collection)

Post by Waldbaer »

Hi,
I wondered why my online library is so much smaller than my local in the pedias. There seem to be some problems syncing the two of them.

1. Items in local library not showing up online
I went through all my currently entered cds and found the following, each with dogtag and album name, which actually are in the online library, but don't show up im my collection:
10467 (First Circle)
39607 (Best of Bond)
62881 (Stadtaffe)
63054 (The Way Up)
27795 (Metheny-Mehldau-Quartet)
206161 (Nativité et paques...)
206171 (Complete Hot ...)
206181 (New Music: ...)
206191 (Kings row)
206251 (Pax Volumi)
207281 (Poltergeist)
Only some of them are found via user search, but all work by inserting the id directly in the details view.

2. Items online but not in the pedias
A problem the other way round: Is it possible to remove items from personal collections online? I encountered this problem when using a doghouse dvd entry as source of my edition by deleting its doghouse tag and reuploading it. Online, I now have both editions, although in DVDpedia, there's only my edited of course.
By the way, at the moment you can change the doghouse numbers in the pedias freely as you like, isn't that quite dangerous for the library to work? The workflow above is quite useful though, so it should be able to reset the dog tag (=delete and get a new one) for an item.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Library not syncing correctly (wrong items in my collect

Post by Alex »

Waldbaer wrote: 2. Items online but not in the pedias
There is currently no way to remove items from your Online Library directly, it's all managed from the Pedias.

To make sure your library is up to date:

1. Select Doghouse-> Settings
2. Click Login

This will send your entire collection again to the Online Library thus updating it completely.

On the Doghouse Online Library page:

1. Logout
2. Log back in again
3. If you're still seeing weirdness, try to Shift-reload the page (this is especially true for Safari which likes to hold on to cached data more than other browsers)

Logging out and back in are not always required, you should see the changes even without logging out but this way it refreshes all the browser session variables.

As for your missing entries, I'll take a look. There is nothing obviously 'wrong' with these entries for them not to be included.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Alex will take care of number 1. as he is the man that knows what going on at the server level.

2. Moderators are/were allowed to update the dog tag, this was okay when it was a handful of trusted individuals. Now that the moderator pool is a lot larger and Doghouse stable I shall remove this feature for 5.3. Thank you for reminding me. This also solves the issue with the two editions still appearing. In the future please use the "Remove Dog Tag" command from under the Doghouse menu, this will also let the server know to remove the item.

Give Alex a day or two to gather any information he needs from your current online library. Then you can open the "Doghouse -> Settings" window and click "Login" again. This will send a complete update of your current dog tags to the server. Not regullary necessary, but it's a great way to resync all the tags as to fix software mistakes like the above where you have both editions.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Alex answered faster than me. Do use the setting to resync the library, then if a new dog tag item is not included online do let me know any details on how it was added to the library. If it was tagged by using the gear button, by contribution, or by moving it from the wish list. This way I can track down the steps that fail to also send the sync command to Doghouse.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

OK, in a few days I'll try this re-login and hopefully everything will be fine then.

Just because you mentioned it, I remember to have seen this "Remove Dog Tag" command in the menus. It's just more intuitive at the moment to just kill the field data... so it makes sense that you remove this edit possibility. Oh and I think you should add both "Remove Dog Tag" and "Mirror Selection" commands to the context menu of the entries; I miss it there on a very regular basis before going up to the menu. :wink:
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

I could not wait and re-logging in really helped nearly all of it. There is still one album missing online though, if CDpedia (and the online database, too) counts correctly, but I have no idea which one. Any ideas or do I have to go through all of them again to find it? :?
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Waldbaer wrote:There is still one album missing online though, if CDpedia (and the online database, too) counts correctly, but I have no idea which one.
You are certain all your entries have a valid dog tag associated with them?

If so, it could be a stale dog tag: an entry with a very old dog tag that no longer exists. However, this is very unlikely as it would be fixed when you contribute that entry.

In CDpedia, check to see if you have any entries with a negative dog tag, this would mean it was not accepted by Doghouse. I have a backup database locally, from a couple of days ago, that tells me at one point you had an entry with a dog tag of: 1234567, no such entry exists in Doghouse and you no longer have it in the online database, I mention it because it could be the entry skewing the count.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

Whoa, that actually shocks me a little, because I had that tag about 2 seconds long, just to test if I can put in anything I like but then of course directly changed everything back directly. I also doublechecked that and logged in again, so now this entry is definitely not there anymore. May this still be the problem? If you still have this backup, could you maybe write to me which one it was (I don't remember). Then I'll delete the entry from my database completely and re-add it, maybe this might help...

I have no negative dog tags. Everything I submit directly gets a real dog tag, probably because I'm a moderator.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Waldbaer wrote: If you still have this backup, could you maybe write to me which one it was (I don't remember).
The database only stores the dog tag, nothing else so there's no way for me to tell which one it was, sorry.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

Well, I took the task to look again manually and I found the problem: I have an album in two editions, CD+DVD and Vinyl as well. Doghouse just made them the same and put the same dog tag on it (probably because it does not know the media type "CD+DVD" that I put in), just with both UPCs. That's why it shows up online only once. Since the editions differ not only from the media but also from the content (e.g. the bonus DVD is only with the CD and therefore the Summary is completely different), I made it two different dog tags and now everything is fine.
Thanks for all your help and version 5.3. :)

BTW I ask myself why the "find duplicates" does not find two versions with the same dog tag - because of the different media? Hm, maybe that's a special case, but could be another tweak to "find duplicates" (which btw just finds two albums of the same name but everything else different, but that's no real problem)...

Edit: Errmh, I wanted to make sure that both editions only have the correct UPC connected, and really the cd+dvd version still has both. As soon as I try to delete the wrong one, the remaining changes to something completely different (624719990010), though. What's happening there? It should be only 727361279301, the other one is from the Vinyl edition.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We used to have a stricter matching engine for duplicates. But through the years we found out it was better to have a more forgiving algorithm and let the users decide if the match was a real duplicate. You can set the old strict engine that will take Artist into account as well with the following secret command in Terminal:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.bruji.dvdpedia "Strict Duplicate Match" -bool YES
Also the dog tag is a new thing in the Pedias and the scan duplicate was built before it's time, but it's true that it could now take into account dog tag as a possible match for a duplicate. I have added it to the beta version and will be part of the next release.

How are you updating the UPC? Could you email us a .ccard by dragging the CD over to your Desktop. This way we will have the same data and we can try to reproduce the bug with the same steps and data.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

You're right concerning the duplicate match: Better too many than too few matches. There won't be very many anyways, but thanks for the tip concerning the hidden preference. Thanks for adding dog tags to the match, this will be useful, I think.

Concerning my tried UPC update, I did that using the admin web sites; if you are logged in, just click "edit" on the top right and you are there where I was. I'm sure you know it. :)
I tried this using Safari 5.1 and Firefox 30 but with the same results, so I think it's not a browser problem.

If you need the .ccard of the albums anyways, I can of course send them to you, it just does not help at this particular problem, I suppose (from my unprofessional point of view)... just say if I'm wrong.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Concerning my tried UPC update, I did that using the admin web sites
Thank you, I thought it was editing in the Pedias and not directly on the Doghouse website. I shall pass the message to Alex so that he can have a look at that issue. Thank you.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Waldbaer wrote:Edit: Errmh, I wanted to make sure that both editions only have the correct UPC connected, and really the cd+dvd version still has both. As soon as I try to delete the wrong one, the remaining changes to something completely different (624719990010), though. What's happening there? It should be only 727361279301, the other one is from the Vinyl edition.
I see what you mean. Thank you very much for this, I've just fixed it.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

Great, I corrected the entry and it worked as expected now. :)